Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt and Unreadable Documents.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet Home

Sweet Home

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

I am getting an error message about two documents that are corrupt and unreadable. I have tried to delete them by putting them in the trash, but the error message is: ntitled- Notepad: NOTEPAD.EXE - Corrupt File. The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\C\My Documents is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

When I tried to run Chkdsk it wouldn't run, said I needed to restart. Unfortunately, I get an error message there, too.

I also tried deleting the files in DOS, but got the same corrup and unreadable error messages.

As I do not have the XP installation CD, I tried running ComboFix. The instructions suggested that I send the ComboFix Log file to an authorized helper. Please see attached.

Both files are Notepad files, and they are titled Rescued document and Rescued document 1.

First, can I remove these files? Second, if drastic measures are needed to remove them such as doing a complete system recovery, do they present any danger? Or are they just a minor irritation, that is an error dialog message will pop-up when I rerun CCleaner?

Sorry the post is so long. Am trying to give you as much information as I can.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

Edited by Sweet Home, 11 August 2009 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Run chkdsk /r, as instructed.

Start/Run..type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system and let the command run, it will boot into XP when done.

A corrupt/unreadable document is a damaged file or a file which is on what are called bad sectors. The chkdsk /r will try to make the document readable/move it to a good location.

Louis

#3 Sweet Home

Sweet Home
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Thanks so much. That did the trick. When I first ran chkdsk, I got the same NTSF cannot open volume for direct access. I missed the DOS screen at restart. However, when I ran it again, choosing Recovery Console. That fixed the problem.

Again, many, many thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users