Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 7 doesn't run correctly

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TechWhat

TechWhat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

HI,
I have a number of problems with my computer and I will try and address them one at a time. It is a 2001 vintage Dell 4100 running Windows XP Home Edition; version 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600. I have 512 MB memory. IE7 has been running poorly for some time but a thunderstorm and a power outage really knocked me out (although other computers in the house are OK).
If I try and start IE from the desktop icon the screen changes to IE but I never get past the "connecting" message. When I run Task Manager to abort the process it shows 100% CPU usage. If I start IE from the accessories section of the start menu with add-ons disabled it seem to run fine. I know there is a message there but I can't decipher it. I have downloaded and reinstalled IE7 but the problem persists ... seems to load "on top" and thus assumes all existing problems.
As a side not other desktop programs (most notably windows explorer) won't start from the icon. I seem to remember this happening with another computer once and I had to do something to "reconnect" the links.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

TechWhat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would open IE...Tools/Manage Add-ons...disable or remove everything reflected (based upon premise that one or more has damaged files which are screwing up IE. If you want to reinstall them...go ahead after removing everything.

To try to fix other problems...Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system and let the command run to completion, it will boot into XP when completed.

Louis

#3 TechWhat

TechWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Louis,
Thanks for the speedy response.
When I try to open the "normal" IE I just get the previously described connecting screen. I let it "cook" for 10 minutes and nothing more than the "blank" screen happened. I can pull down the tools menu but nothing happens when I try to manage the add-ons. It seem like IE isn't starting hence it won't let me change anything. Is there another way to open it that will allow me to access the manage add-ons command?

TechWhat

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

Check Event Viewer for errors relative to connectivity or Internet Explorer, post the details of such: How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 TechWhat

TechWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

I did the chkdsk thing and it found only one thing : "correcting encrypted file record segment 51189". Doesn't seem to have made any difference in any of the issues. Some desktop icons still not working.
I ran event viewer, which I had to do from the "run" command because the control pannel doesn't come up, and there are lots of entries in the applications and system tabs but no errors in the Internet Explorer catagory. Seems to be lots of issues with Bonjour and in the system catagory with nvport (some sort of boot system driver?).
I'm not sure what to do now.
I looked at the link for the event viewer but I'm not sure what info will be helpful to you.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

TechWhat

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

About Bonjour, http://arai.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/compl...and-mdnsnspdll/

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/0...nsresponderexe/

If it's a program that you don't need/want...I would uninstall/remove it.

Post the details in Event Viewer...for the nvport.sys problem, please. Just double-click on the line item in EV.

Louis

#7 TechWhat

TechWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay.
I removed the bonjour as recomended and ran the event viewer again. The following comes from the properties screen of the Systems portion of EV.
Date: 8/20/2009
Source: Service Control Manager
Time: 2:32:23 PM
Catagory: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 7026
Description: The following boot-start driver(s) ailed to load: nvport

Thanks,
TechWhat

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Worth reading: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:JWjsyg...=clnk&gl=us

I would download/install AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx, then I would go to the Logon tab
and take a look at startup pointers. If I find one for this file, I would remove or disable it, following instructions in Autoruns for doing such.

Always remember...lack of a file extension makes it very difficult to properly identify files in XP. Show all file extensions, including system and hidden files.

Louis

#9 TechWhat

TechWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

Don't want to seem ungrateful but I'm getting confused here.
I followed the link from EV to the MS help thing and discovered that nvport has something to do with nVidia. That seems to make sense since I have an nVidia GeForce2 GTS/GeForce Pro graphics card with driver version 6.14.10.7189. I have gone to the nVidia site looking for an updated driver but they no longer seem to support that card.

How does the driver for my video card reak such havoc with IE and the rest of my computer?

Remember I can't access Windows Explorer via the desktop icon or the start button thing. I downloaded Autorun but I can't install it because it is a zipped file and when I click "open" on the screen when it is done downloading I go into a 100% CPU ussage thing and I have to reboot the computer to stop it. It's the same thing that happens when I try and start IE with the add-ons enabled.
Am I wrong to think that my first task should be to try and get IE fixed so I can start it correctly without going into the 100% CPU lock up thing?
Since I have to start IE7 with "add-ons disabled" the "manage add ons" drop down doesn't work. Is there some other way I can access it?

Is there a way I can unzip Autorun since I can't seem to get to Windows Explorer to double click on it? I use 7-Zip.

You commented on the lack of file extension ... were you refering to nvport? The info I gave you is the info I got from EV. Should I have done something else to get more info?

Thanks,

TechWhat

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

<<I followed the link from EV to the MS help thing and discovered that nvport has something to do with nVidia.>>

That can be correct...however, that particular file is not the only one which reflects nvport as part of the filename.

Note that I said "part"...without the file extension, a user cannot be sure just what file is represented by the first part of the filename. Which means, in simple terms, it could be malware.

http://antivirus.about.com/b/2004/09/07/en...n-viewing-2.htm

The nVidia chipset (if your system uses it) installs all sorts of drivers on a system, with particular attention to any onboard functions.

If you have/use a nVidia-chipset based video card, not an onboard chip, I cannot tell you why a video card would install port drivers. But I do know that my ATI capture cards install such, so I would not be surprised if a regular video card does the same.

Port drivers seem to be implemented routinely by video cards, from what I see on the Web, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v...mp;oq=&aqi=

As for the question of why a video driver should be able to interfere with Internet access...well, there are some things I just cannot explain because I don't understand them...but I know that we have words which try to describe such.

If drivers for different devices...can present problems for other drivers (which they can)...and if damage to a file in Location A is manifested in Location ZZ on a computer...I can believe that the most seemingly probably relationships...can exist among files interacting in a PC.

Interesting link (just an illustration of what I'm trying to say) at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174858.

It is also general knowledge that video drivers can also routinely interfere with computer functions (e.g., hibernation/standby) which seemingly are unrelated.

I guess that's why we call them "systems"....there really is nothing that is "unrelated" in the sense that a system is a vast number of files/functions interacting as a whole.

As for file data...you need to always remember that malware can adopt/assume any filename or make it appear that it is a legal file. Blinding yourself by turning off the file extension feature of XP...is not (IMO) a smart thing.

If I wanted to determine whether a given file is what it appears to be, I first Google for info on file size, normal location on the system, and a brief description. If all three match up or are close enough (I don't worry a bile size differential of a few KBs nor do I worry about having multiple copies of valid files, depending on where they are), I accept the file for what it appears to be.

I would have done a clean install long before now, at the first sign of problems after a lightning strike/power situation. I like to find out if the system has been damaged by such.

If you do a clean install, you would be able to see whether your hardware has been damaged. You would also be able to move forward with a less troublesome system situation, if there are no hardware problems.

Louis

#11 TechWhat

TechWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thank you Louis, for the detailed explanation. I have been using computers since the Commodore Vic 20 days but I am far from an expert and I find that I have am having more and more difficulty accesing my memory files. My hard drive aint as hard as it used to be.

I would gladly and happily do a clean install if I knew how. Would you direct me to a link that gives detailed info?
Besides the fact that I don't know exactly how to do a clean install I have another problem that impacts my ability to do that (remember I said there were multiple problems).
Neither my LG CD-RW CED-8090B or my Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612 work correctly. Although they were inoperable long before the previous problem I do think it is a driver type issue. The computer knows they are there it just won't operate them.
This computer was originally supplied with Windows ME which was legally upgraded to XP. I have the XP upgrade disks ... can I use them for a clean install ?

I thought I did have the file extensions turned on in this computer. I'm not sure how to check with it's limited cooperation.

I live in one of the most densly populated states in the country and power outages due to downed wires are a common occurance for me. The power company can no longer afford to keep the right of way clear and still give their senior executives 7 figure bonuses. My gut tells me that nothing was fried but I have been wrong before.

BY the way I have done Spybot, Adware, Avast and Malwarebyte scans and I run Zonealarm firewall. I did the Malwarebyte scan today and it found 3 adware and 1 trojan in the quick scan. I removed them and nothing changed. Maybe I will do a Malwarebyte deep scan overnight.

Thanks for your help. I don't want to give up on this but I'm not sure where to go from here. If you can direct me to clean install instructions that is what I'd really like to do. I suspect that is more difficult with a computer this old.

TechWhat

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

A clean install is easy :thumbsup:. Should take about 35 minutes or so. Be sure that you have backed up/moved any data files which you want to keep which might be on the drive/partition you are installing XP on. Make sure that you have your license/key data before you begin.

I will provide two sets of instructions...one will illustrate the screens you encounter (in addition to narrative) while the other will be strictly/mostly narrative.

Clean install, upgrade version, with screens: http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Just something that users ought to know when installing XP: Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Bear in mind...that the most important thing to do after the install is completed...is to go to Windows Update for critical updates. I would certainly suggest that anyone today install all critical updates that are presented, including SP3 and all those that have come post-SP3.

Louis

#13 TechWhat

TechWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

Louis,

I FIXED THE PROBLEM ... at least for the moment.

It was the Google toolbar in the IE7 add-ons that was causing the problem. Once I disabled it I'm back to normal (notice I didn't say perfect).
As per your previous post it does demonstrate the "system" concept because all the other seemingly unrelated things came back also ... windows explorer, control panel, my computer,etc.

While flailing about trying to educate myself about the clean install I also corrected the "no CD" problem by tracking down the error code. MS had an automatic fix to reconnect the necessary links and my CD and DVD are working again.

I still want to do the clean install but I have a few more things to come to grips with yet. I have a 37GB Disc 1 "C" drive and a 200GB Disc 2 that is divided into a 96GB "D" and a 94GB "G". I remember installing some special software to get past the disc size limitation. I didn't fully understand it when I did it and I'm still afraid of it. There are also some issues with drivers that don't seem to be available anymore. I really find it hard to believe that there isn't a software program that takes care of all of that for you. Putting all the right things in the right places for novices like me. It looks like the F.A.S.T. program tried to do that but I'm not sure it is completely there.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll be back.

TechWhat

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

There is no disk size limitation, for all intents and purposes...unless you have a very old motherboard/BIOS. Even if that were the case, the rules of days gone by would not apply, since any version of XP reflecting SP1...is not subject to that limitation.

It was a Windows limitation, which has been overcome...because time moves on.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users