Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start Windows-Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tulsanurse

tulsanurse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

I turned my computer on last night and a box popped up telling me my computer was infected, and then started scanning. I tried running spybot and some other anti-virus programs but it shut down my computer. Now I can't even get it to start in safe mode or regular mode. When I tried to restart, it says-"We apologize the the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardward or software change might have caused this." It goes on to say that I should "Choose last known good configuration to revert to last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked". I can't get to the system restore so I am not sure what to do. It keeps trying to reload, over and over, but nothing happens.

It keeps trying to reboot on its own but nothing happens. I dont have a recovery CD as it didnt come with my computer. I keep trying to start in safe mode by using the F8, but unsuccessful.

I am pretty sure the virus is "Advanced AntiVirus 2009" as I remember the name on the box that popped up.

{EDIT:Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 11 August 2009 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tulsanurse

tulsanurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

My computer will not boot windows xp, and I can't start in safe mode. I don't have a windows xp CD as it didnt come with my computer.

#3 tulsanurse

tulsanurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

Just want to say "Thanks" in advance. I turned on my PC last night (Windows XP Home) and had the Advanced Antivirus 2009 box on the screen, then it started scanning. After trying to remove it and then restarting the computer, it won't open Windows at all and I can't open safe mode. It just keeps trying to reboot. My question is...Since I dont have a recovery CD can I burn a cd off of my laptop and install it in my desktop. If this is possible, am I going to lose all my stuff (Pictures and documents)? Is there somewhere where I could get directions on how to burn a copy thats understandable?

My desktop-Compaq Presario
My laptop-Toshiba

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

My question is...Since I dont have a recovery CD can I burn a cd off of my laptop and install it in my desktop. If this is possible, am I going to lose all my stuff (Pictures and documents)? Is there somewhere where I could get directions on how to burn a copy thats understandable?

What do you mean when you say "install it in my desktop"? Are you simply asking if you can copy all of your pictures and documents onto a CD and move them over to your desktop PC? If that's what you're asking, you would either need to be able to get the laptop booted up, which would involved removing the virus/malware issues first, or another option would be to remove your hard drive from your laptop and use a device that can read the contents of it from another PC in order to copy data over. You would need to have that device first, obviously, and it would be greatly beneficial to have a helper there in person to assist you in getting all of the pictures, documents and whatever else you want off of the laptop's hard drive.

First, I think it's worth attempting to remove the infection from your laptop, so you'll need to tell us a little more information. What happens when you start the computer? You said that you can't get into Windows, so what does your laptop do when you turn it on? Please be specific as to where and how it stops working and any error messages you might see. Also, with regard to not being able to get into Safe Mode, please give the details as to what happens when you try that.

It's going to take some time and diligent work, but we will hopefully be able to resurrect your laptop or at least recover your data.

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by Eric RBA, 11 August 2009 - 11:26 AM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users