Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double sided disc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spitfire11

spitfire11

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hi all,
I thnk I know the answer to this but I want to know if threr is a solution.
My sister has an audio/video disc (it's the first I have seen) & she wants to load the tunes to her Ipod but the cd will not play on her Vista powered laptop or on my XP pc. I am guessing that we need a dual layer reader to extract the songs.
Right or wrong. Or is there a solution?
spitfire11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Your title says double-sided
Your post says dual-layered
Dual-layered needs a player that supports that media. Double-sided you flip like a record
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 spitfire11

spitfire11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

Thanks garmanma,
It's taken me a while to get back to this topic. To clarify the situation, on the case it says "dual disc" "2-sided disc" so I flipped it like a record but it won't play the audio tracks at all. any ideas?
spitfire

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

I have never used one so I cannot even try one to give you any input
sorry
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

I saw one a few years ago and I had no trouble with it -- it was a group popular with pre-teen kids (as one of mine was at the time) and I don't remember any problems with it (I usually made copies for the car, so the kids wouldn't risk their original discs) -- but I honestly don't remember very much about it at all.

I did find a description at Wikipedia which notes that the audio side doesn't fully comply with the Red Book (the authoritative reference for CDs), so I suppose an individual drive might have a problem with it.

Can you get it to play -- either through the computer or a CD player?

EDIT: Make sure you've got the right side. If I recall correctly there was a tiny label around the hub -- the label should read "audio" facing up, when the audio side is down -- the usual arrangement.

I don't think I can help you more than that -- I don't know that the kids even still have it.

Good luck.

Edited by Capn Easy, 24 August 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#6 spitfire11

spitfire11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Capn,
It does play on a "normal" cd player so I guess you're right about the Red Book idea, I will let my sister know and put tihs one down to experience.
Thanks to you as well Garmanma.
Cheers,
spitfire11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users