Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not able to get SP2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

1. my dad will kill if we get it because he heard too many negative things about SP2 from good friends that are computer noobs. (huh? how do they know?) he has yet to hear anything about SP2 from a highly respected comuter expert, otherwise no SP2.

2. my mom works from home with a company called West Corporation, she's one of those 1-800 # buy stuff infomercial operators. They said strictly not to install SP2 on the system, otherwise the call taking program will not work. (i really wish they can fix that)

so.... there ya have it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

Get theyre lazy butts up and buy another computer.

You need SP2, it fixes so many widely used holes and hacks.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

The first reason is not valid, as many computer experts have recommended installing SP2- - -even DESPITE some problems some people have had with it.
The second reason is valid. SP2 made many changes to the operating system that caused programs to be incompatible with it, especially in the workplace. It may be that your mother's company cannot easily (and cost-effectively) make the changes to their programme to get it to work with SP2.

As long as these two conditions exist, then you and your family will have to be extra cautious when on line with that computer and make sure you have every layer of protection available.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 July 2005 - 08:27 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:27 AM

Hi without SP2 installed your computer can become a hackers paradise, and open to viruses. All the problems that people suffered when SP2 was installed, was not down to SP2 but the firm who supplied the software that they sold and could not be bothered to update.

I don't know wwhere you live but here in UK I help run and look after computer,s if I go and find out that they have not got SP2 then I am not allowed to even try to see what is wrong, untill it is installed and a sticker has to be placed inside on the hard drive to that effect.

I would like to meet these noobs, or so called narrow minded people, and show the differents between running a computer with SP2 and one not.. I have done it and the one with SP2 over a week had nothing on it, the one without crashed 16 times, because of the virus and other stuff it had on it.

As for your mums firm then either they are nearly skint or the boss is a miser, because no firm over here would run their computers without SP2 it was them that was being hit that is why SP2 was bought out.

So get withit and get another computer, or when your one crashes at home make sure to dont send this forum any e-mails because they could be carrying trogan,s.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users