Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am, I said

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ellenjanuary

ellenjanuary

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:24 AM

and no one else. You know you're too old when the decibel level of the ambient environment degrades from Rammstein to Neil Diamond within a coupla years... anyway, I'm here on the trail of the elusive 7 beta bug/slash meltdown. My system wants to blame the nVidia driver, but, of course it's all Microsoft's fault (I've been by a few nVidia forums that expressed a similar diagnosis) :thumbsup:
Of course, blame doesn't solve the problem (even if they did screw it all up); and this 7 could very well evolve into the architecture of the age (for us lazy people, anyway) so I have undertaken this pilgrimage of discovery in defense of the Evil Empire. And besides, the problem is too erratic. Once, it was from installing Wacom drivers, once from doing just about nothing, once from opening a USB flash drive, and this morning just from trying to wake up. And although I'm getting the same kind of event messages from all, the actual runtime unrunning is not only the ol' BSOD, but also the "instant off" feature. I mean instant; I'll be reading from a blank screen and typing dead keys for a moment before I realize - hey, wait a minute... if they could package this kind of responsive shut down, all would be roses. Yet, no matter how cool 7 might be as beta, if it doesn't work; it doesn't work. Kinda necessary for an application to... apply.
Kinda funny, now; two weeks into my journey; and maybe the butler did it after all... From the gamer geeks, difficulties arise more frequently on multi-core, and more with more; especially with overclocked hardware. Yet, I'm hardly worried about fps for the FPS, sitting here listening to Neil Diamond. In fact, I just came here from the AMD site after reading of a developer summoning the dread BSOD, spawned by a debugger that wasn't (the process wasn't running) and I'm like, "hey, I just did that!" So, we got video games on steroids, buggy debuggers, drivers that don't... oh, and some kind of boot-level memory leak in certain configurations (from the horse's mouth on google) that just might make the whole point moot... and me nodding off in the corner when gravity shifts my unstable configuration into sudden wakefulness-
-eureka-
-Multi-core processing for true multitasking (like we ain't got enough to do), virtually exponential-level growth for visually expressed processing while CPUs are not getting any quicker; leading to this wave of exotic GPU processing - exotic as in new - which taps into CPU system resource... So, here's the Microsoft formerly known as Monopoly doing its damnedest to make the last two years go away (Vista who?) as creeps like Intel and AMD stick more and more processors into the box even as the upstart nVidia introduces desktop supercomputing. Ol' security-obsessed Windows (that doesn't even let computer owners modify their own machine) is all of a sudden gonna be Mr. Continental open-armed to threads and processes on a distributed architecture - sourced from former no-account gamer types even - and hand out the Keys to the Kingdom (system resource) at times of greatest demand??

Could happen. The only reason I don't fly with the penguin is because I'm dang lazy... that and the dang Wacom... but it just might be time for a change. Then again, all of these distinct bugs may be just that - distinct - and these speculations be nothing more than lack of sleep and the thousand-yard screen stare. Yet, it seems entirely possible that Microsoft would shoot itself in the foot, developing a non-viable product, because they could not let that product run without trying some kind of asinine last-minute security protocol... and it seems entirely possible that true multitasking may yet be beyond human scope. Speaking at a personal level, I may look like I can walk and chew gum at the same time time; but there remains a single song in my parallel-processing repertoire... and distributed-level procrastination is still merely procrastination. GI - - Go.

-unknowing stuff daily-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users