Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Speed limit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

My sistuation: 4 computers using the same connection.
The Problem: My brother downloads every second his computer is on and its on 24/7 and he doesnt limit himself, 15 dl at any given time with unlimited dl speed, same with upload.

Since this really slows everyone down (our bandwidth is about 1mbps when his computer is off, and when he turns it on and starts downloading its around 150kbps when he is on).

I am using a 2wire Home Portal 1000sw, with sbc yahoo, and my question is, is there anyway to limit my brothers speed from a different computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

I'll bite.

So it's 4 PCs sharing one DSL connection and all through the 2wire Home Portal device? I wasn't familiar with that product but it appears as though it will perform the fuctions of both the DSL modem and a wireless router. Unless there is another device connected which shares ethernet connections to 2 or more of the PCs you should consult the guide for the Home Portal and see if it contains any information on how to restrict bandwidth by device and, say, only give your bro's 24/7 dl machine a maximum throughput of 25%. I'm not sure whether that (or any) 'for home use' routers are customizable in this way. It's more the function you would expect to see on a corporate switch or router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users