Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost restore disk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 unnnies

unnnies

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

I just got out an old desktop because I was having problems with my laptop (my main computer). The desktop is crappy but it served it's purpose while I cleaned up my laptop. Now I would like to get the desktop in better working condition just so I have a good parachute. The problem is that I lost my restore disk and emachines no longer sells them. They suggested that I buy a new copy of windows. I found these instructions on how to reformat and reinstall without a disk:

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/...qtwinxp0829.htm

I was wondering if this is a good way to try this or if anyone has better suggestions.

Edited by unnnies, 11 August 2009 - 12:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

I think you misunderstood that link.

"Follow the steps below to save the activation status information and restore it once your system is rebuilt."

That procedure only bypasses reactivation, it does not reinstall XP.

XP cannot be reinstalled from within itself...you have no files on CD...you have no recovery partition.

Since it seems that you have a valid key to use XP...I can only suggest that you find someone who has an actual XP install CD for the same version (Home for Home, Pro for Pro) and ask them to burn you a copy to try with your license.

There are all sorts of vendors purporting to sell copies of restore/recovery CDs, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=r...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users