Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird noise and hard drive indicator flashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 isosoclese

isosoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

i dont know if this is the right forum, but...
what does it mean when there is a little noise and the indicator flashes?
im sorry if this makes little sense, im not tech savvy at all.

Edited by isosoclese, 10 August 2009 - 11:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:57 AM

It can mean a lot of things. To identify exactly what it means. . . you're going to have to be much more specific with your issue. Let's start by answering these questions in as much detail as possible please.
  • Is this a desktop or laptop?
  • What make of computer is it?
  • When does this issue occur? (At bootup, during operation, at shutdown, etc.)
  • Which indicator light are you referring to? Where on the machine is it, and is there some sort of symbol next to it? What does the symbol look like?
  • Is there some sort of pattern to the flashing? How many times does the light flash?
  • What kind of noise does the computer make? Does the sound seem to come from the speakers or from within the computer itself?
  • When you hear the noise and see the light flash, does the computer do anything else? (shut down, turn off, produce an error message, etc.)
You don't need to worry about using technical terminology or anything, you just need to give us enough detail so that we can visualize the issue.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 isosoclese

isosoclese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

-laptop
-dell 1340
-happens randomly while i use it, maybe 3-5 times in an hr
-the symbol is a cylinder
-when the noise comes the flash is on longer than the usual flickering
-sounds a bit like a browser click followed by a noise that sounds like something got shut off (but nothing happens)
-the computer doesnt do anything; im just wondering if it means anythng when it does that

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

What you're describing falls within normal computer operation. It basically means your computer is "working" on a task.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users