Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe problem - Kaspersky scan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fastfreddy2009

fastfreddy2009

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Adobe problem:

Hello all,

Kaspersky found three files which were threats, or problems, with Adobe Flash player. I went to the site* as recommended by the scan for a description of the three files found. Based on the information I then proceeded via a link to the Adobe site for the recommended updates.

I followed the instructions and updated from the Adobe site. Nothing worked, so I updated several times, plus restarted. However, the problems remained.

I then uninstalled Adobe player and AIR. After restart, I ran the full scan again, only now I have a different, single file that has been found during the scan. This file is not one of the original three files found. The original three files are now gone after the uninstall.

However, it didnít appear to be related to Adobe, as the first three were. When I try to go to the file location, it says that access is denied.

When I go to the site* for the recommended fix and a description of this single file, it still goes to the Adobe fix/patch solution.

Any help would be great. Thanks very much.

fastfredyy2009

site* (as described on http://www.viruslist.com/en/advisories/35948 )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

What is the name and location of the file being reported?

As per Adobe security update advisory, you need to update
1. Adobe Flash Player (IE and non-IE) to version 10.0.32.1
2. Adobe AIR to 1.5.2
3. Adobe Reader to 9.1.3 (install three patches one after another)

#3 fastfreddy2009

fastfreddy2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hello Romeo29,

I installed the newer version of Adobe and run the scan today. This seems to have fixed the problem as there are no threats now shown.

I note that you mentioned three patches, and I think that was where I went wrong as I only downloaded one, thinking that was that was all I needed for some reason.

Since I uninstalled all Adobe products, and then reinstalled the newr version the problem appears to be fixed.

Thanks for your response, as I would have been trying to fix this had it not cleared up. I appriciate the reply very much.

It's good to find solutions from others when you don't know what to do.

Thanks again

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

You are welcome :thumbsup:

#5 Uncle Jaque

Uncle Jaque

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

I'm just trying kapersky - they let you try it free for a month.
Have had the very same issue with Adobe, Flash Player, Real Player, and Java.
Tried a bunch of stuff, and found that running a registry clean (I use CCleaner)
and making sure that the old versions are uninstalled or deleted - installing the upgrades apparently does not always take out the old files, and Kapersky will continue to hit on them.

It will continue to hit on deleted files in the "Recycler" until the "Trash" is emptied. Doing a system clean (also with CC) seems to help.

I try to "Quarantine" suspect files but there is no such file under Kapersky, and when I try to create one it comes up as "unknown file" and won't let me re name or delete it, and there is no file to save in it anyway.
It does not tell me if a hit is a virus, trojan or what until i go to the "details" on line. I don't see where it is taking out any cookies, spyware, bots, or adware.

I had a lot of programs and apps that needed upgrades & security patches. You can link to the appropriate site for download from the description site, but why not from the item list directly? All it says is "Very Dangerous!" but does not say why - that's a PITA IMHO.

Was using CA which came with roadrunner, but it let several nasty things get through, and recently something was taking it down as fast as I re-enabled it. Tried to discuss it on their TS forum but they banned me forever for just asking about a suspect web site. That frosted me on CA so uninstalled it to try Kaspersky, but although it found a lot of stuff that CA was oblivious to, now I'm not all that hot on that one. Might move on to Malwarebytes - some folks in here seem to like that. We're running Win XP sp3. Wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amt. for a really good AV suite, but if there are freebies out there that work just as well that would be ducky.
Any suggestions?

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

Might move on to Malwarebytes - some folks in here seem to like that.

Malwarebytes AntiMalware is not an antivirus product. It just cleans certain types of malwares. In general, a good antivirus is a must. You can also use some kind of anti-malware for regular scanning as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users