Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Removable Media Drives F: - K:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vang52

vang52

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi Folks,
Wife's computer [HP Desktop running XP Media Center] - she went to plug in an SD card from her camera and said somethings gone. Windows Explorer is only showing drives C: (main), D: (recovery), and E: (CD/DVD). All of the other drives F: - K: are gone. These drives were a varity of RMS slots and a couple of extra USB ports. Not sure what happened, but possible that the eject drive button from the task tray was used improperly, but still clueless on the steps needed to diagnois and fix the bloody thing.

Any help appreciated! TIA.

Steve
Thanks for your time and trouble!

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

A simple reboot may cause the system to re-detect them.

Have you checked device manager for any question marks, exclamation points, unknown devices?

#3 vang52

vang52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

I have since done both a soft and hard boot to no avail. Looked at Device Manager and didn't see anything like what you indicated looking for,however, I have no idea WHAT should be there or not.
Thanks for your time and trouble!

Steve

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

So I am sure we are both at the same stage of trouble shooting. Has she plugged in the SD card yet or did she first go into Windows Explorer to see the drive and never inserted the SD card?

If she has yet to insert the card then do so now. See if Windows will discover the reader. I have an add on media reader that will only be discovered\installed in this manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users