Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix deletion of uninstall files, add/remove programs/function

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dontbesojumpy

dontbesojumpy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

hi all. i had a very nasty backdoor trojan that was very difficult to remove.
i ended up finding combofix via another website and was advised to use it (after the failure of many, many other programs). i realize the hap-hazardness of this now and am dealing with the aftermath of a messed up computer...

it seems like all the virus is cleared up, but now i've lost functionality of all programs that had required registrations. furthermore, and more complicated, is the fact all uninstall files for said programs have as well been deleted (at least they are not located when searched for nor are they in the correct file folders).

under add/remove programs, i now have a ton of random single-word programs such as "fax" or "unload" or "scan" or "printscreen" that have no remove/uninstall button. in fact, almost non of my programs have the uninstall buttons anymore.

i've lost microsoft office, all my adobe programs, and just about anything that had required registration. i can reload most of these, but i cannot uninstall the old, malfunctioning versions due to the lack of uninstall files and lack of buttons under add/remove programs.

what can i do to get back to a functional computer? how do i get rid of all the weird, single-name programs that appeared? note that all of this happened immediately after using combofix.

any help is appreciated.

Mod. edit. DaChew referred here from Am I Infected as the infections appear to be gone. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2009 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dontbesojumpy

dontbesojumpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

i've reinstalled a newer photoshop which seems ok, but i still need to delete the old as well as the other programs.

rebooting seems to change nothing, FYI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users