Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for a sweet first laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chrisundecided

chrisundecided

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

So i have been looking for a laptop for around 2months now and i cant decide what to get because i'm not computer smart and i do not understand
what i need so here is my budget : $800-$900. what i will be mostly using it for is checking email,web browsing,and games. i use Bitlord,AVG,Guitar Pro on my old desktop so i will want to put it on my laptop . The games i will be mostly playing is Nitto 1320 Legends, Left 4 Dead,and Prototype. I do like to download alot of music and videos. so i would appreciate any and all advice.
-Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stealthchicken75

stealthchicken75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

I personally am a fan of Dell as they have great warranty plans. With a laptop you're a lot more likely to accidentally cause damage to your machine somehow and their ADP plan covers most things. You can get a decent Studio 15 or Inspiron 15 system for under 900$. While it won't be the best performing laptop you can buy, it offers a fairly good price to performance ratio. Just make sure you actually equip it with a discrete card when you spec one out as the default choice is an integrated solution.

#3 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

If you can Rase that Price you can buy an New ASUS G51VX-RX05 from Best Buy.
or if not:
You can get this:Referb ASUS G50VT-X5

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 chrisundecided

chrisundecided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

are the asus real good?

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

I'm currently looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834114653

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834157020

These will fit within your budget lines, and they have some of the best graphics cards you can get for that amount of money.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 chrisundecided

chrisundecided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

thank i really like the HP

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I don't own or want to own a laptop.

But...if I did want one, the warranty consideration would outweigh all others, including the various components.

The fact is...anyone who purchases a laptop is likely to lose the ability to use...when anything...yes, anything goes wrong. I think we can safely say that anyone who buys any computer system...can expect various things to go wrong.

The flexibility to repair, to make simple hardware fixes...to make changes which would be simple on a desktop and preserve the ability to use the system...are often impossible with a laptop.

Think "extended reliable warranty" or think "replace when going gets tough".

I don't game, so if I did want a laptop...I'd buy one with the intent of replacing it with a new one at the first sign of troubles that I could handle myself on a desktop.

Louis

#8 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

Uh...well I would not personally buy an HP(Way too much junk from the factory installed on the computer,over branding,Quality can be suspect,Price is not always on par for performance.)As I said,ASUS,MSi,Apple,they make good computers,the higher end Dells are good too(XPS) as are the more expensive Sony Viao's
It may sound weird,buy just look over best buys site,choose the best computer for you,and buy it there,and order the service plan,this will be a lifesaver if you have a local best buy.
And the 4650,aint that good,don't expect wonders.
Look at this!
New egg has a sale on a $1200 Open box Gaming laptop!($950!)
MSi GT627-218us
That is a High res screen,blu-ray and all!
For a hundered bucks less you can lose the blue-ray drive:MSi GT627-216us
That has the 9800m gs,a much better video card.

Edited by sonicjet, 11 August 2009 - 06:03 AM.

#9 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

Whoa! I wish I had caught that first one when it was still in stock. Thats a sweet price for it, I was looking at it the cheaper one when it was 1200$ and considering it. Now its 800$ and it would still be worth it.

Thanks for finding that. I just wish I had paid a bit more attention to open box laptops.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#10 chrisundecided

chrisundecided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:46 AM

Uh...well I would not personally buy an HP(Way too much junk from the factory installed on the computer,over branding,Quality can be suspect,Price is not always on par for performance.)As I said,ASUS,MSi,Apple,they make good computers,the higher end Dells are good too(XPS) as are the more expensive Sony Viao's
It may sound weird,buy just look over best buys site,choose the best computer for you,and buy it there,and order the service plan,this will be a lifesaver if you have a local best buy.
Look at this!
MSi GT627-218us

now for open box and referbished is there any risk of problems

#11 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

Look at this!
MSi GT627-218us

now for open box and referbished is there any risk of problems

Yes and no. I personally buy all my computers with the expectation everyone should have. Electronics are electronics, and with the way I use all of my computers, they are bound to fail within the first year with some kind of problem. My HP computer I bought last year had the fan and heat sink replaced due to overheating, and also, my power charger failed due to a blown capacitor. Those two repairs would have cost me at least $150 to fix, but I expect these problems to happen. My best advice is to buy any service coverage that is offered considering it will pay for itself most of the time.

Now as far as your laptop goes....

I saw a laptop at Best Buy the other day that is definitely worth your while:

Toshiba a505-s6965

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218093379440

The P series processor offers a 1066 MHz FSB (which is better than the T series processors), and more L2 Cache (better performance). The RAM is upgradeable on this machine to 8 GB of RAM in the future, it also has a slot-loading DVD drive, which i personally prefer of the cheap pop-out drives most computers have. In addition, the graphics card on this machine is absolutely perfect for your needs. All in all, this would be what I would get on your budget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users