Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

music is skipping

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stevenc1010

stevenc1010

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

I've been having this problem for quite a while now.

I will play a song through winamp (or any music player) and it will play but it will skip every so often. It seems like when there are processes going on in my computer. Im pretty sure its not the speakers because it will play fine and then start skipping. I recently added 1.5 GB of RAM to my laptop to put it at 2.0GB so I don't think that's the problem.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Skipping generally occurs because the sound card/chip is CPU-intensive.

There are other causes, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=m...ips&aqi=g10

One alternative used to be to use an actual sound card, rather than onboard sound.

Louis

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

Are you playing from a CD or the hard drive?

Is this a lap top or desk top?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Have you tried to tweak Directsound configuration?

Open Winamp. Press Ctrl-P to open preferences. Then open Plugins > Output > Nullsoft DirectSound Output. Click Configure
Under Device tab, select your Sound Card in the drop down list, check Allow Hardware acceleration and Create primary buffer
Under Buffering tab, check Enable CPU usage control

#5 stevenc1010

stevenc1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

Romeo, I did what you said but nothing changed. Might have improved a very tiny bit.

Thuderz, I am playing from my hard drive and a portable hard drive, does the same for both. I am using a laptop.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

Had the same problems on occasion when using my laptop before upgrading to a faster HDD. The original, and pretty much same for all laptops is 4200 RPM. After upgrading to a 7200 RPM with better seek times the problem went away.

Between playing the music and performing other tasks it seems the hard drive was just not capable of keeping up. May be a similar problem with the external drive......really do`t know. Actually kind of doubt it.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Have you tried installing latest sound drivers? Sometimes broken drivers can do this.

#8 stevenc1010

stevenc1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

updated the driver, nothing different.

might be the HD. I dont know why it would start doing that all of a sudden. The laptop is pretty old, I've had it for probably 4 years. My processor is only 1.6 GHZ. I have an HP DV4320 if that helps any.

Any other thoughts?

Edited by stevenc1010, 11 August 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#9 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:50 AM

By any chance, is the laptop a Dell? I've just been in contact with Dell for a similar problem that had worsened over time into the BSOD every time I played music or video. The Dell tech installed a k-lite codec pack and the problem was instantly solved. Maybe not your problem, but the problem with mine was broken codecs and the k-lite codec pack repaired them. Food for thought...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users