Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Strange Vista Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saginawsawesome

saginawsawesome

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

Alright, just got a new Dell laptop with vista on it as i'm about to go to college. 2 weeks in (now) i discover that a specific page will not load on my computer. BUT, IT LOADS ON ANOTHER COMPUTER EVEN WITHIN MY HOUSE ON THE SAME INTERNET NETWORK. And this is a very important page for me to be able to load as it is my online account to the university i'm going to be attending. I've tried several things to fix this problem, and seemingly several other people have as well since I have found several forums with people with the same problem. Steps I've taken include:

1. Trying to open the page on a different browser.
2. Turning off the Windows Firewall while trying to access the page
3. Resetting and reinstalling TCP/IP winsock through command prompt in case of corrupted files.
4. Erasing all temp. internet in case of corrupted files.
5. Run Spy Bot S&D to see if i have malware/etc. on my computer (didn't find anything)
6. Also ran Malwarebytes anti-malware (didn't find anything)

The one thing I found that I have yet to try that shows promise is this that I found at microsofttechsupport.net, however I do not understand what it means.

Thanks for help and suggestions. Unfortunately, uninstalling AV did not help.

I just want to write here, for anyone who have a similar problem, that we found the solution: the administrator changed the port number on the server and now it works. However, I have no idea what kind of restrictions are there on the server that it connected from XP and did not want to connect from Vista. Vista perhaps sends different TCP packages or something... Don't know... A bit more detailed discussion may be found here: http://www.vistax64.com/network-internet/1...r-via-http.html

And just to explain why I wrote it on the security and not TFS forum: The issue is very loosly related with TFS, as this is just a question of connecting with a http server. Well it is in fact even a question of connecting to the TCP server. I thought it is related with some security settings on my laptop. It seems that it is maybe more with networking.

I have no idea what to do. I'm competent with computers, but not really with command prompt or anything like that - I mean I can follow directions on how to fix problems, but have no idea how to go about doing stuff on my own. But I'm extremely frustrated - school starts in 2 weeks for me, and this is a site I will need routine access to while I am at school. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Other than clearing all history, temp. files, and cookies, I would contact the college's IT Dept. first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users