Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hi all, is anone running the trail version of Microsoft Security Essentials? If so how is it looking and is there a release date yet? Im not sure why MS have only released it to 3 countries. I have read some reiviews with very positve results.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/market.aspx
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

So is no one using this software yet?
MCP
MSDST

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

I think the product is in limited geographic release.

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

The download is closed to the public now. It was open to only a certain number of people in the public, but they closed it to only a limited audience.
Computer Pro

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:30 AM

Check out the links in Romeo29s post in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248656/any-information-about-microsofts-morro-security/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

MSE is good in detecting, will probably continue as long as MS have focus. As important is how easy it is to use, opposite some other AVs there is little doubt what is going on. Probably also what will make some less impressed. Not much to tinker with. Should be great for majority and easy to recommend. Not much explaining needed. False positives should not be a problem but it does have the usual problems with tools with malware like features, have had a couple crying over tools from http://nirsoft.net/ Could be a lot worse.

May be memory usage should be lowered a bit. Runs smootly, I cant tell if I run Avira or MSE, but does use more memory. Not a major issue but then again some will not be impressed. Wait for screenshots of Task Manager and talk of "bloat" and "extensive use of resources", if not already here :thumbsup: AV from MS could also be a problem, some will not like that combination no matter what. In same category are those who have weird loyalty towards AVG, Avast or whatever. Not all will not welcome competition. MSE could be a serious threat to the market. A more valid complaint is lack of options to report/export history. Not really great for removal if you have to communicate actions to someone else or just be interested yourself. There is a "delete history" button which work with no confirmation - need a "export history" button as well. Actually the only thing I noticed.

One more thing Ive seen mentioned as a big security issue is update is shared with Windows Update Service. So if you or malware disable WU MSE cant update. Complaints could be mixed so MS haters will see this as horrible while it really is not. Not so sure impact of this setup can be evaluated beforehand. Self-protection in MSE is probably more important as it is for other AVs.

How does it look? Google for pics but really not much to look at. Needs some polishing here and there but has nice sliding pop-up windows - with a "Details" button hiding what MS dont expect majority is interested in. Less is better. Take a look at their forum to see if there are major problems http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...sestart/threads or check out feedback here https://connect.microsoft.com/securityessen...kOverviewType=6 can see history option is mentioned. They say it is acknowledged and will be considered for later versions. Have heard that before, we will see. Millions of users/infections and time decide if it is worth anything but feels solid to me. Dont think MS will lose interest, will be difficult to get away with dumping AV so I think "issues" will be fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users