Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hanging blue screen on start up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 geminid

geminid

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi all at BC. (windows xp home)
On start up I get a brief view of diagnostic page (as if ++f8) then my computer hangs, with a blue screen, for app 3min after the “welcome” logo (no error code) & I fear it may crash. (otherwise all is fine) I recently installed xp recovery console as a safety precaution while getting rid of malware, and, after viewing many forums, it appears (I think) that the RC may still be in diagnostic mode at start up causing the delay. I read your article on removal of RC, but I would not attempt it without expert guidance. However, I would prefer to keep RC if, somehow I could disable it. I've got an ntbtlog, but its too large to post (keeps repeating that it cant find drivers, untill it does find them)
I hope you can help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

What does the error message say?

Leave the RC on your system, it's a useful tool that does no harm at all to XP.

There is nothing like a "diagnostic mode" for the RC. It's simply a way for a user to make changes/repairs to system files that need such.

We need more details on what is reflected on this "diagnostic page".

Your system hangs for 3 minutes...and then successfully boots into XP?

What makes you think...that you have solved your previous malware situations?

Louis

#3 geminid

geminid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hi Louis. Thanks for your quick reply.

There was no error message.
The diagnostic page (as if ++f8) is I think the second page with the top line "select system start" or similar, and "windows xp" is highlighted. (the page is there for only a split second)
Yes the boot up to xp is compleated successfully after the hang.
I sent a HJT log to another site, who said is was clean.
Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

Well...we can try to repair the mbr, although I'm not sure it will do anything positive. It won't do anything negative.

Go into the Recovery Console...select 1, hit Enter. At password prompt, just hit Enter. On line where cursor waits, type fixmbr and hit Enter.

There will be a warning (blah, blah), acknowledge that you are aware and want to run fixmbr.

Command will run, let you know when it's done.

Type Exit and hit Enter to reboot the system.

See if anything changed :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 geminid

geminid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

Hi Louis.
Thank you for your continued support.
Proceeded as advised, when I came upon this message. -
“This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.”
Continued with fixmbr which completed with -
Device\Harddisk0\Partition0.
The new master boot record has been successfully written.

Unfortunately it did not cure the problem

I looked up the warning on a ms bulitin which said -
"The fixmbr command causes this error message to be displayed on your computer system whenever you run the command, regardless of the state of the Master Boot Record (MBR).”

I'm sure that you are aware of this ,but thought I would advise you.
Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Well...I have no idea what this mysterious screen that appears...is, nor it's significance (if any).

There are more commands that we can try :thumbsup:.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and the /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system and let the chkdsk /r run to completion. When it is done, it will reboot into XP.

After booting into XP, run the defrag tool on the C: partition.

Might as well try all the easy answers :flowers:.

Louis

#7 geminid

geminid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hi Louis.
Thanks for your time and support.
Did the tasks as you directed, unfortunately the problem sill exists.

#8 geminid

geminid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hi.
I guess this thread may now be exhausted.
The 3 min hang after the welcome logo is no big deal (it's not as though I'm hangin from a rope by my thumbs!) I'm just concerned that it may be a prelude to a big crash, although I think at least getting some sort of an error warning / code may give us a clue, so it may need to get worse before it can be cured?
Also, I now notice that my web pages are not completing and I need to use the "back/forward arrows" to enable it to do so.
Should I submit a HJT to another forum (see previous) I suppose it is possible that I am not clean.
Hope you can advise?. Thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Submittal of an HJT log...is not something that a user should do casually.

If you think the problem is something other than malware, then you need to try all alternatives to attempt to solve it. The folks here can only suggest based on your inputs and their experiences/knowledge, etc.

If you think the system is infected, you need to post first at the Am I Infected forum, BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

It's fairly obvious that no one here (XP forum) seems to have a clue what it is that is with your system.

Louis

#10 geminid

geminid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hi Louis.
I thought you were here to help, not to admonish me. I left the thread open, & I think it may be your input that was lacking not mine.
My suggestions are in desperation, and requesting guidance. If you feel that you can't help in your field, then be civil, and point me in the right direction.
regards. d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users