Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hello, my question is there any clean up program that I can download that will identify old files and programs that are no longer in use for easy removal. For example, I was running spyware terminator. and I noticed it was checking files for old programs such as bit defender, avg, etc. I removed these programs several months ago, but apparently there are several files still in the C drive, that i am sure are taking up memory.......Thanks 4 any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Well...my question is...how do you go about determining if a file is "old" or not?

Installed XP in 2001 (I think) and I still have programs running which were from that era...I'm curious to see what criteria you would employ for your selection.

If you are talking about programs that have been removed...a user can do a manual search of the registry for entries and combine that with a manual search of all files to chase some of those down (but probably not all).

I guess that I'm wondering what it is that you hope to gain by your anticipated "housecleaning".

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#3 koolkev

koolkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

well my C drive tells my I only have 18% free memory and I was thinking if i cleaned up old files from programs that I no loner use, would free up memory, and my computer would be faster. I have several files from previous programs that are no longer in use such as: Bit Defender, Norton, Etc.......

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

Well...what's keeping you from uninstalling these programs or simply deleting the folders/files (if the program has already been uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs)?

No program is needed to do these things...just a little user interest and time.

Have you emptied your Recycle Bin?

Turned off System Restore (not a good idea if you don't routinely backup your system)?

Disabled hibernation?

http://www.opentutorial.com/Disable_hibern...n_in_windows_xp

Run XP's Disk Cleanup?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

And...if you have other partitions that can be used for storage...move photos, video files and music files...from My Whatever to some storage partition. These files are a hindrance on the C: partition, taking up space and yielding nothing useful.

Louis

#5 koolkev

koolkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

Yes thanks for the hibernation info, it was useful. And I have used disk clean and I do know how to use add/ delete programs. What I was trying to say is I noticed when running a scan, I saw files being checked, ( such as Bit Defender,and AVG), these programs where removed using add/remove, months ago. I assume that when the removal process took place, not all programs files were totally removed, thus taking up space and memory. So I wanted to know is there a file clean up program that can be downloaded that can search for these files that i no longer need, or must i do it manually...........Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

If you are looking for files/folders (more than likely folders with a couple of files in them), then the easiest thing to do is just use the XP Search function.

If I wanted to find all files related to Symantec/Norton...I would do a search for "Symantec" first...then one for "Norton".

If I wanted to chase down registry entries...same drill, just done using regedit.

There are programs that purport to insure that all files are removed properly when a program is uninstalled...but, honestly speaking, I would not believe that they are any more reliable than I can be myself. How does an unknowing user...tell if the program does anything at all, let alone if it's able to live up to the pitch made to get a user to install it.

Registry cleaners are sold/employed every day...to persons like you who are looking for an easy answer to doing something that maybe should not be done easily.

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2009 - 02:34 PM.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

As hamluis has stated use the search function off of the START for what ever you want to remove and go from there. Using this function is the only way I have found to remove all of Norton/Symantec. As far as I know there is no program free or store bought that can do this for you. If you want to remove program (A) use the search function and remove it. You have to do your own house cleaning. I use Ccleaner but NOT the registry part. It helps alot. It is not a clean all because it doesn't know what you conceder is a old program. Only you know. DO NOT USE THE REGISTRY CLEANER PART in any cleaner. I hope this helps.

#8 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

well my C drive tells my I only have 18% free memory and I was thinking if i cleaned up old files from programs that I no loner use, would free up memory, and my computer would be faster. I have several files from previous programs that are no longer in use such as: Bit Defender, Norton, Etc.......

Hi koolkev,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Symantec has created a tool to remove Norton products from your system. Please follow the steps below to run the Norton Removal Tool.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#9 koolkev

koolkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •