Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need to Wipe External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hi. I am trying to wipe an external eSATA hard drive before I have to send it back to Dell. I own a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station, as well as a LaCie external CD/DVD drive. I also have hard drive wipe software. Is it possible to hook these up to a laptop (they both can convert to USB and I have two USB ports on the laptop) without hurting the laptop's internal hard drive? Is it possible to wipe the external hard drive directly from the laptop's CD drive? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

If the drive is recognized by the system...it can be wiped.

If the drive has mechanical problems or file problems which prevent it being recognized by the system to which it is attached...

What software are you planning to use? You plan to run it from optical drive?

Louis

#3 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

I have a WipeDrive Pro disc from White Canyon. It overwrites. I believe the external CD/DVD drive that I have is an optical drive, yes. I guess if the hard drive has any mechanical problems, I could just open it up and ensure that it can't be read, right?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

I guess that I don't understand what you are asking...open what up?

If you are referring to a drive in an external enclosure, I believe it depends on the warranty terms.

Louis

#5 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

I meant physically open up the ex-hard drive and do some damage so that it can't be read. I don't even know why Dell wants them. But whatever. I'm going to try to overwrite using the Thermaltake BlacX and see what I can see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users