Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Up Wizard - Networking or Windows XP Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wildcat75

Wildcat75

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

I am a newbie to posting on Bleeping Computer. I have browsed the site for a while but found solutions to my computer issues through the posting of others.

This morning I originally posted most of my problem below on the Networking forum. But the more I think about it I am wondering whether this is more of a Windows XP issue. I apologize if that is not the case. If someone would be so kind, please read what I have posted below with an eye to the possiblity that I have damaged some Windows XP files and the best way to approach that.

I have a home network of 4 computers. The lead computer is directly connected to my cable modem through a network card. The other 3 share its internet connection by plugging into a hub/switch (don't know the proper term). The internet sharing stopped working after the lead computer was infected with viruses. I have cleaned up the virus problem but cannot get the shared internet connection going again. And the lead computer can no longer view the other computers on the network (no can the lead computer be seen by the others). The lead computer is on Windows XP Home Edtion. All the others are either on XP Home or Media editions.

When I try to re-establish the network on the Lead Computer with the Network Set-up Wizard, the Wizard takes my input (and I am pretty sure I am inputting correctly) but sends a failure message at the end. It says to retry inputting the Wizard differently or configure the network manually. When I look at the network connections on the lead computer (one network card going directly into my cable modem and the other network card plugging into my netowrk hub) and try to view their Properties, under the Advanced Tab I am not able to designate the connections as lead for internet sharing or as clients (I can still do this on the other computers).

In Windows XP on the Advanced Tab (for Properties) where I would expect to be able to configure the card instead I get a message that something called "Windows Managment Insturmention" may be corrupted and that I need to restore Windows to an earlier time. Problem is I cannot succcessfully restore. Even though Windows seems to indicate that I have many restore points available, when it attempts to restore to an earlier point it cannot (and I have tried many different times with many different dates).

Researching on the web I later somehow stumbled on to a WMI utility. When I installed and ran it, its script said that WMI was OK. But I still cannot successfully operate the Wizard or configure the two network cards manually.

Any thoughts of what I can do from here? My computer knowledge is not that strong. I know enough to get me into trouble as is evident here.

I have tried uninstalling the two network cards on the lead computer (and reinstalling them again after a reboot). That didn't work. I uninstalled firewalls in the process thinking that maybe they were blocking access to the network. Would trying to restore to an earlier date in SAFE MODE allow me a better chance to find a restorable point? The lead (problem) computer is a Compaq Presario 1234N (not sure about the N) with an AMD processor. I did not receive an XP disk with the machine but I believe the "D" Drive contains a recovery version of XP. At least when I boot up it gives me the option to go to this recovery portion. Can I repair XP this route? Or do I need to completely reinstall it this way? I do have the ability to back up my data or the whole C drive onto another hard drive.

Sorry for so many questions but I really have confused myself and am now way over my head. I have never done a recovery before and am hoping there is simple way for me to proceed.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Microsoft says: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823775

Take a look: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=94987#

Louis

#3 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the leads!!

#4 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

Problem fixed!!!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users