Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need network printer for Ubuntu 5.1/PCL-5

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cybermel

Cybermel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

HELP!!!! My company runs an antiquated accounting software and needs to purchase a new printer. Not only does it need to be PCL-5 compatible, but also needs to work with Ubuntu 5.1. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, except the obvious anwer of upgrading our netwrok, 'cause it's not happening! :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 10 August 2009 - 02:33 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

Why doesn't your company upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04? Are the computers THAT antiquated?

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

my 8000n supports pcl5, pcl5e and pcl6 as well as PS. I think nearly all those from the 8000 series down also support pcl5 but many companies have had problems with pcl5 in a windows environment.

If you are in Seattle, you can find someone to rewrite your accounting software to use postscript if that is the limitation.

Upgrading from Ubuntu 5 to 9x is pretty ugly. Not as impossible as freebsd 3 to 6 though.
No one would do it in a production environment.

You need to setup a 9x system and get the accounting software running on it (perhaps with the developers help if this is a in house dev) and do a cutover once it is tested good.

Is it mysql based or Oracle? Is the hardware an old pc or a mini mainframe?

The level of detail needed to give you realistic and detailed advice is quite a bit more than what you posted so it might be a good idea for your company to hire a consultant to figure out what your options are. There are hundreds of them unemployed in WA state right now.

#4 skyking1

skyking1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

my 8000n supports pcl5, pcl5e and pcl6 as well as PS. I think nearly all those from the 8000 series down also support pcl5 but many companies have had problems with pcl5 in a windows environment.

If you are in Seattle, you can find someone to rewrite your accounting software to use postscript if that is the limitation.

Upgrading from Ubuntu 5 to 9x is pretty ugly. Not as impossible as freebsd 3 to 6 though.
No one would do it in a production environment.

You need to setup a 9x system and get the accounting software running on it (perhaps with the developers help if this is a in house dev) and do a cutover once it is tested good.

Is it mysql based or Oracle? Is the hardware an old pc or a mini mainframe?

The level of detail needed to give you realistic and detailed advice is quite a bit more than what you posted so it might be a good idea for your company to hire a consultant to figure out what your options are. There are hundreds of them unemployed in WA state right now.

Hear Hear!
I'm one of those underemployed in Washington :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users