Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8 crashes at times

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition as my OS. (SP3). My system is upto date and has no problems so far.

I have IE8 and it works okay. But a weird things happens. If I want to open a link in a new tab to do that if I right click on the link & select open in new tab then it opens ok. But if i use shortcut Ctrl + clicking on link then my IE 8 crashes and after crash it re-opens again in new window. I even re-installed IE8 but that didn't help.

Why is this happenning is a mystery ? Can anyone help me out.

Thank you,

Cheers,
GR

Edited by greatchap, 10 August 2009 - 12:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

I just tried the Control (+) click on hyperlink, it works for me (although I'm not sure why this is considered a shortcut to clicking on the link by itself).

You are not actually clicking the plus sign when you do this, are you?

I do have IE8 installed also.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...7/quickref.mspx

Louis

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

I just tried the Control (+) click on hyperlink, it works for me (although I'm not sure why this is considered a shortcut to clicking on the link by itself).

You are not actually clicking the plus sign when you do this, are you?

I do have IE8 installed also.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...7/quickref.mspx

Louis

thanks for your reply though I didnt understand you fully. In my case when I mouse my mouse over a hyperlink then when I press key Ctrl and Left mouse button click then link should open in a new tab but rather my that tab crashes. I made sure i aint pressing any other buttons.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

We are doing it the same way :thumbsup:.

I don't know what to tell you, other than the shortcut works exactly as it should on this system.

You might try running a chkdsk /r on your system and defragging after that completes successfully. These are just general purpose maintenance routines but they do eliminate strange problems that some users experience.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system and the chkdsk /r will run before booting into XP. Upon command completion, the system will boot into XP.

Louis

#5 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Nah, I don' t think there is a problem with my harddisk. The HDD is relatively new and before I posted this query I had run chkdsk and it did not find any problems. I dunno why this strange thing is happening.

Edited by greatchap, 11 August 2009 - 09:14 AM.

#6 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Problem Solved

I think the problem has been solved. It was because of my Ask & Record toolbar which was there in IE. When I disabled it, then the problem did not occur. Funny thing yeah, though I have the same toolbar in my ie at work but it works there ok. anyways kinda found the culprit. Cheers.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Good work, feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users