Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Media center Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wtpotts

wtpotts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

My son's Dell has Windows XP Media Center Edition. Because I didn't properly train or monitor his use of the computer on the internet, he said "yes" to most offers to drop "stuff" onto the computer and now the OS won't boot. It opens to the different user icons and upon clicking any of them, you get the message, "loading personal settings" them it immediately changes to "saving personal settings" and goes back to the user icons. I've run diagnostics on the hard drive from the disk that came with the system and the hard drive checks out ok. I've run Norton from the CD and it deleted several viruses so I'm concerned that the OS is corrupted to the point where it will have to be reloaded. I tried to boot from the OS disk but it takes me back to the original problem.
My questions:
1) Is there any way to get an Automated System Recovery Disk at this point since I can't create one from his computer?
2) Should I plan to reformat the hard drive and reload all the programs and, if so, how do I get to the DOS prompt to do that?
3) Any other thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

Well...running a scan from a Symantec/Norton CD...is not really effective, since there probably have been innumerable modes of malware attack that have come about since the creation of files on that CD.

I suppose that it's better than nothing...but it won't necessarily be prepared to deal with all malware.

I suggest removing the hard drive...and attaching it to a known-clean system that has current critical updates and malware-defense mechanisms...and running a scan with that drive attached as a secondary. It's always good to try to remove malware from the list of suspects...before moving on, IMO.

What model Dell?

FWIW:

Computer Won't Boot From The Hard Drive - http://www.rlrouse.com/computer-wont-boot.html

Xp Boot fixes, BC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

Louis

#3 wtpotts

wtpotts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

I'm game for most anything at this point. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users