Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe corrupt after virus, no permission to replace

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 josh_junk

josh_junk

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

Caught a virus and have been trying to clean it (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic244813.html) but since infection there has been no explorer.exe process on boot-up so I have no desktop icons or taskbar.

Was told to post problem in this forum --

Was instructed to overwrite it in C:\WINDOWS from other locations explorer.exe backed up, but explorer.exe could not be located in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\ or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\

(the virus deleted it from both locations after the first time I tried to copy it.)

I just tried to copy a clean version of explorer.exe (from a different computer transferred by USB stick) over the corrupted explorer.exe in the C:\WINDOWS folder. However, I could not delete it or copy over it -- I just got a error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Can not click on it to start the service (same error).

Any help would be appreciated.

I have been able to access files through the task manager and my computer may still be infected.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Malware and the cleaning process...may result in damaged system files.

I would try a repair install of XP myself...but you could also try running the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users