Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Network Connection/Setup Wizard Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wildcat75

Wildcat75

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

This is my first formum post. I have a home network of 4 computers. The lead computer is directly connected to my cable modem through a network card. The other 3 share its internet connection by plugging into a hub. The internet sharing stopped working after the lead computer was infected with viruses. I have cleaned up the virus problem but cannot get the shared internet connection going again. And the lead computer can no longer view the other computers on the network (no can the lead computer be seen by the others). The lead computer is on Windows XP Home Edtion. All the others are either on XP Home or Media editions.

When I try to re-establish the network on the Lead Computer with the Network Set-up Wizard, the Wizard takes my input (and I am pretty sure I am inputting correctly) but sends a failure message at the end. It says to retry inputting the Wizard differently or configure the network manually. When I look at the network connections on the lead computer (one network card going directly into my cable modem and the other network card plugging into my netowrk hub) and try to view their Properties, under the Advanced Tab I am not able to designate the connections as lead for internet sharing or as clients (I still do this on the other computers).

On the Advanced Tab (for Properties) where I would expect to be able to configure the card instead I get a message that something called "Windows Managment Insturmention" may be corrupted and that I need to restore Windows to an earlier time. Problem is I cannot restore. Even though Windows seems to indicate that I have many restore points available, when it attempts to restore to an earlier point it cannot (and I have tried many different times with many different dates).

Researching on the web I later somehow stumbled on to a WMI utility. When I installed and ran it, itsscript said that WMI was OK. But I still cannot successfully operate the Wizard or configure the two network cards manually.

Any thoughts of what I can do from here? My computer knowledge is not that strong. I know enough to get me into trouble as is evident here.

I have tried uninstalling the two network cards on the lead computer (and reinstalling them again after a reboot). That didn't work. I uninstalled firewalls in the process thinking that maybe they were blocking access to the network. Would trying to restore to an earlier date in SAFE MODE allow me a better chance to find a restorable point? The lead (problem) computer is a Compaq Presario 1234N (not sure about the N) with an AMD processor. I did not receive an XP disk with the machine but I believe the "D" Drive contains a recovery version of XP. At least when I boot up it gives me the option to go to this recovery portion. Can I repair XP this route? Or do I need to completely reinstall it this way? I do have the ability to back up my data or the whole C drive onto another hard drive.

Sorry for so many questions but I really have confused myself and am now way over my head. I have never done a recovery before and am hoping there is simple way for me to proceed.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

When you say "hub" do you mean a switch? How many ethernet ports does it have available?
Under your current configuration the 2 network cards on the lead PC would need to be bridged and the NIC connected to the modem would need ICS enabled.
This seem`s to be what you had prior to the infection.(?)

The reason I am asking is you should be able to have all PCs and the modem plugged into the hub (switch?). The modem should basically take care of the rest.

Regarding the previous mentioned infection. Was it cleaned up here? It is possible, sounds like, that the software Windows uses for network configuration may have been damaged. In particular the TCP\IP stack.

Also regarding the infection. Are you sure none of the other PCs on the network were infected? A possibility if it was a "network aware" virus.

#3 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for your response!

I am not sure I am using the right terminology. When I say "hub" it might be a "switch". I do know that it is a piece of equipment made by Linsys. It has 5 ethernet slots and an additional similar slot to allow to be connected to another "switch"/"hub".

I'm pretty sure that the "client" machines are clean of the virus but I will check again.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Just so I know what we are dealing with. There is a model number somewhere on the Linksys. What is it?

Concerning the additional slot = ethernet port. Is it labeled as "WAN" or "uplink".

#5 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

Thanks again.

The additional slot is labeled "uplink".

I think this is the serial number (my wife checked it for me as the machine is at home and I am at work):

EFAH05 (Although the print is small and my wife says the last two characters could also be alphabetic "O" and "S".

Hope that helps. Sorry for not being more precise. Nowhere on the equipment does it say "switch' or "hub" or "router". Wish I understood th difference better. Just learning this stuff.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Actually the term switch and hub are pretty much interchangeable. All they do is connect multiple devices. There is no internal configuration to be done.

A router is basically just that. It allows User configuration of some elements of the traffic passing through it.

The serial number does point to it being a hub.

So. Assuming all of the above is correct then I question why you have you network set up as you do. If all PCs are clean and nothing was damaged by the infection or it`s removal then the Lead PC really is not need`d. All the PCs and the modem can be plugged into the hub. Then the hub into the modem. Ignore the uplink port.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Personally, I'd back up the stuff on the C drive and reinstall windows. Even tho you got it "cleaned" you can never be 100% sure. Back up and reinstall. In the end, you'll be happier. When its done, try setting it all back up again.

Is there a reason you don't go buy a router? I am just asking. There is nothing wrong with your setup.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

Actually the term switch and hub are pretty much interchangeable. All they do is connect multiple devices. There is no internal configuration to be done.

A router is basically just that. It allows User configuration of some elements of the traffic passing through it.

The serial number does point to it being a hub.

So. Assuming all of the above is correct then I question why you have you network set up as you do. If all PCs are clean and nothing was damaged by the infection or it`s removal then the Lead PC really is not need`d. All the PCs and the modem can be plugged into the hub. Then the hub into the modem. Ignore the uplink port.

Thanks again. I appreciate learning the meanings of the different equipment and I really appreciate your help.

I will try connecting the modem directly into the hub and plug in each of the computers into the other ethernet slots.

I assume that the connection from the modem itself can go into any of the ethernet slots and NOT the uplink slot?

Do I need to run Network Set-up Wizard for each of the Computers? If so I assume that I select the "second" configuration option (i.e. none of these would be considered a 'lead" computer who shares its internet connection).

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

Thanks again. I appreciate learning the meanings of the different equipment and I really appreciate your help.

That is what the Forum is here for. If you should ever have the occasion just share what ever knowledge you may acquire with them.

I assume that the connection from the modem itself can go into any of the ethernet slots and NOT the uplink slot?

Correct.

Do I need to run Network Set-up Wizard for each of the Computers? If so I assume that I select the "second" configuration option (i.e. none of these would be considered a 'lead" computer who shares its internet connection).

If you want to share the resources of the PCs on the network then the Network Wizard is the easiest way to do it. There is another option.

The second option is the one.

As CaveDweller2 said, your current set-up using ICS= Internet Connection Sharing is fine (when it was working). How ever it always required the lead computer to be on even if it was not the one in personal use. The way you will be setting it up now only need`s the PC(s) in use to be on. No PC is need`d to act as the ICS server.

#10 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

When you say "hub" do you mean a switch? How many ethernet ports does it have available?
Under your current configuration the 2 network cards on the lead PC would need to be bridged and the NIC connected to the modem would need ICS enabled.
This seem`s to be what you had prior to the infection.(?)

The reason I am asking is you should be able to have all PCs and the modem plugged into the hub (switch?). The modem should basically take care of the rest.

Regarding the previous mentioned infection. Was it cleaned up here? It is possible, sounds like, that the software Windows uses for network configuration may have been damaged. In particular the TCP\IP stack.

Also regarding the infection. Are you sure none of the other PCs on the network were infected? A possibility if it was a "network aware" virus.

Once again I thank you for your help and appreciate your expertise.

I now think you were also right about me not getting all the viruses or damage off my computers.

On one client, I cleaned the hard drive several times with different anti-virus software. It registers "clean" but I have no TCP\IP on my network connection.

Can you please tell me how I can restore TCP\IP?

Thanks

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hopefully THIS should get you back on the right track.

#12 Wildcat75

Wildcat75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Problem fixed!!!! Bought a router and removed a ton of malware using methods prescribed in this forum.

Thanks to everyone for helping out.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users