Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Error Messages

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 commanderblake

commanderblake

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hello,

I recently had a virus that masqueraded as a legitimate anti-virus program (I think it was System Security). After a long process of going into safe mode and uninstalling it, I ran Malwarebytes and cleaned up the rest of the infections on my computer. However, after the login screen comes up, an error saying this pops up:

Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\patron.orig\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0EJGS7S6\.biz_M-cm.nfl_M-cm.EX_hisp-cm.music_M;;tile=1;ord1=4092;sz=728x90;contx=none;btg=cm.biz1;btg=cm.biz_M;btg=cm.nfl_M;btg=cm.EX_hisp;btg=cm[1].music_M;ord=[timestamp] to location C:\Documents and Settings\patron\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0EJGS7S6\.biz_M-cm.nfl_M-cm.EX_hisp-cm.music_M;;tile=1;ord1=4092;sz=728x90;contx=none;btg=cm.biz1;btg=cm.biz_M;btg=cm.nfl_M;btg=cm.EX_hisp;btg=cm[1].music_M;ord=[timestamp].

DETAIL - The filename or extension is too long.

Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Then the next screen says something to the effect that the computer couldn't log on to the user that was specified but was able to log onto the default profile instead. This is a problem because the computer that is infected is at the library I work at and we don't want people to mess with settings that they can now access using the default profile rather than their restricted profile.

I have tried locating this file and have had no success. I am relatively good with computers and so the fact that I can't find this file is worrisome.

Windows also has a pop up come up after start up about how the system has recovered from a major error and it has an error report. Here is the contents of that:

Error Signature
BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : E2D8C000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : AA5E8125

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\patron\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER584f.dir00\Mini080909-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\patron\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER584f.dir00\sysdata.xml OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Other problems I have:
When I try to find the files mentioned an error window comes up saying that C:\Documents and Settings\patron\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Then it says that it could have been moved to a different location. Then there are no icons on the desktop. The IE and Recycle bin icons will show up but no others.

This computer runs XP Professional and has the program Deep Freeze on it which does a good job of cancelling out what patrons do on the computers or download. When I was deleting the System Security virus though it turned off Deep Freeze which hasn't happened before. The computer can run programs ok and has internet access, but I can't figure out how to disable the startup errors. Again, it's important for us to have the user profiles active so that we can restrict access to people who come in to use our public computers.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

Moved from XP to a more appropriate forum. Tw

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

Intresting. I am a user of Deep Freeze as well and have never seen anything hurt it either... What version of the software are you using? Please post your Malwarebytes log and let's also run Dr.web.

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Here is the Malwarebytes log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2549
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

8/10/2009 3:16:34 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-10 (15-16-32).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 109181
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\SYSTEM32\hjgruiijrukpcx.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\SYSTEM32\hjgruiijrukpcx.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.

When I reboot in safe mode I can't run Dr Web Cureit because the program doesn't appear upon reboot. And as I try to download it again, IE won't let me. So I don't know if you have another suggestion, but the Dr Web CureIt website just keeps transferring me to its homepage. IE also keeps popping up with stupid toolbars like Ask.com and AIM each time I start it. Everything is taking forever to load too...

#5 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

Also, I'm running Deep Freeze 5 (5.40.220.1238). When I tried to run Malwarebytes the first time I got the blue screen of death saying that it did a Physical Memory Dump. The error message was this:

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0xE2D52000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xAA5E8125)

I have run it successfully since, but I figured I should throw this in too.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:50 PM

I have never had to clean a Deep Freeze computer so I do not know if malwarebytes and Dr web are trying to remove a driver or component of deep freeze. Malware infecting those areas cannot help either. You do have a rootkit infection. This is a nasty TDSS variant. You may wish to reformat and reload, or we can continue our cleaning efforts. Again, because of the nature of Deep Freeze, I am not sure how the scanners will treat the program.

If you choose to continue, let's go after the rootkit.

Download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
Be sure to read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual. A copy of this manual sarman.pdf can also be found inside the program folder after installation.
  • Double-click sarsfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now". Click Yes.
  • Make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click "Start scan".
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will be done when you restart your computer. Click "Restart Now".
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\.
Note: If the scan is performed while the computer is in use, false positives may appear in the scan results. This is caused by files or registry entries being deleted, including temporary files being deleted automatically.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding- I haven't had a chance to work on this computer lately.

I ran the Sophos Anti-Rootkit tool and all the files that came up said, "Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended)." They were all in the Temp or Temporary Internet Files folders and had very long file names. So I was unable to take any action. Do you want me to post these file names? I didn't this time because I closed out of the scan box and none of them met the criteria "Removable: Yes (clean up recommended)."

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yes please. Sophos doesn't recognize all file threats and refers the actions to the user. We will review them and see if they are bad.

Thanks!

#9 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

A quick note: a tech guy came in to work on this computer yesterday and we were able to log onto the patron user name that we need. However, I can't do the same today and the error messages upon startup are back. I believe this has something to do with Deep Freeze, but I'll let you be the judge :thumbsup: Anyway, here is the sarscan log:

Sophos Anti-Rootkit Version 1.5.0 2009 Sophos Plc
Started logging on 8/15/2009 at 13:30:50 PM
User "Administrator" on computer "BACK-CHECK-IN"
Windows version 5.1 SP 3.0 Service Pack 3 build 2600 SM=0x100 PT=0x1 Win32
Info: Starting process scan.
Warning: Failed to set privilege SeDebugPrivilege. You may not have
sufficient access rights.
Not all privileges referenced are assigned to the caller.
Warning: Could not initialize Toolhelp. Please restart and try again.
Access is denied.
Info: Starting registry scan.
Hidden: registry item \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\hjgruigaqjfltx
Hidden: registry item \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\hjgruigaqjfltx
Info: Starting disk scan of C: (NTFS).
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruiypbniwtsnc.tmp
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruiidafbwvy.dat
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\hjgruiwhcnkryo.sys
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruixvkdktko.dll
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruitrjxehcm.dat
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruiijrukpcx.dll
Stopped logging on 8/15/2009 at 13:57:40 PM

Also, I don't know why it would say I don't have sufficient access rights- I'm logged on as the administrator!

Edited by commanderblake, 15 August 2009 - 01:30 PM.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

You have a rootkit infection. This computer was infected when DeepFreeze was running?

Please rerun Sophos ARK and remove the following files:
  • Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruiypbniwtsnc.tmp
  • Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruiidafbwvy.dat
  • Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\hjgruiwhcnkryo.sys
  • Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruixvkdktko.dll
  • Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruitrjxehcm.dat
  • Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hjgruiijrukpcx.dll

reboot immediately...

Then update and rerun Malwarebytes as soon as you restart. Post the freah log.

Also... Please note that this rootkit is a very nasty infection. You may wish to consult with your IT folks and consider reloading this computer.

#11 commanderblake

commanderblake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Well, as I completed the scan again, 5 out of the 6 files you told me to remove came up, but not C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruiypbniwtsnc.tmp

This time there were 7 files (2 new ones) in the Temp and System32 folders with similar names starting with "hjgrui." As I was about to save the sarscan log to a flash drive, the system did another physical memory dump with the blue screen in the same fashion that I've described before. Therefore, I was unable to remove the files or save the log so I'll have to do another scan tomorrow.

Should I just go ahead and remove the files with the same "hjgrui" name in them when Sophos detects them again?

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Did you run Malwarebytes immediately after the scan? If not, the rootkit files will regenerate.

Please post a fresh Sophos ARK log. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users