Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Math and Science based Software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vaustin

vaustin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hi- I am buying a laptop for use in graduate school and will be using software such as Matlab, Maple, MIKTEX for writing a paper, and several other similar programs that I don't yet know specifically. Due to outdated university software I have heard that 64 bit systems cause compatibility issues. Does anyone happen to know if this is a common problem? Also, I am looking at a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965 with P7350 intel core duo, it is going for $800, I have heard mixed things about it, any thoughts? and if that's a good one to avoid what computer brand ( top 3) do you prefer?
Thank you!

Edited by vaustin, 10 August 2009 - 03:26 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

Any system that is going to be used for university work...there's an instant resource, namely...find out what other students used and what worked well. History has some lessons to pass on to anyone.

Couple this with the minimum system requirements posited by the software developers...and you should have a good idea of where the bottom of the floor lies.

Ceiling is another matter.

Louis

#3 stealthchicken75

stealthchicken75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

It depends on what you're referring to as 64-bit. The real compatability problems stems from the OS, not necessarily the hardware. All of your hardware can support 64-bit, but it won't run as such unless you're also running a 64-bit OS with it. Thus, if your software only supports 32-bit, you could just run a 32-bit version of Windows and have no problems. Alternatively, you can try to run the 64-bit version and try emulating the software as 32. The latter choice is where you're likely to run into problems.

My recommendation is that if you want to have a 64-bit system to be "future ready" then purchase one and dual boot. You can have one partition with Windows Vista/XP 64 loaded and one with Vista/XP 32. Whenever you purchase a copy of 64 bit Windows, you're entitled to the 32 bit version for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users