Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ready to Build

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cenfath

Cenfath

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Okay, so I'm finally ready to build my own computer. My cousin is kind of the computer guy in the family and he's so busy most of the time, I hate to bother him, so I'm ready to learn. I made this decision after deciding my poor desktop is on its last leg (it stills uses AGP if that tells you anything).

So my price range is about $6-800. I do favor Intel, but as far as anything else goes I'm not sure about what's good and what's not so good. So any help is great! :-D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

The most important aspect of building, IMO...is doing the research.

After doing this, you can truly decide what you want and what you don't need in a system.

I would start with understanding why the motherboard and the PSU are probably the most important components, pretty much dictating everything else in a generic fashion.

The CPU...is a selling point used by retailers, but it is not the most important choice a user makes (IMO).

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/...therboard.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/choosing-a-power-supply.htm

Once you find a motherboard you like...that feels like what you want...then you can worry about selecting an appropriate CPU.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

I don't usually say this about computer parts/builds, but now is the perfect time to wait (for a month) if you plan to go Intel. The new P55/I5/Socket 1156 parts are just about to be released and we should have some performance numbers (solid performance numbers) soon.

Edited by dpunisher, 10 August 2009 - 12:54 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:39 AM

"I don't usually say this about computer parts/builds, but now is the perfect time to wait (for a month) if you plan to go Intel. The new P55/I5/Socket 1156 parts are just about to be released "

Yes, & they will be sky high for the 1st. year ay least.
The Socket 1156 motherboards will be too.

Whenever new stuff is released that won't run on any old stiff the price stays high until the co starts making a profit on iy.
Once they at least break even the price will see a drop.

This has happened with every new CPU & socket combination & the i5/1156 is going to be no different.

CPU's & new socket motherboards are like cars to me in 1 way.
I wouldn't buy either as soon as they come out, I* wait at least a year.
The greatest depreciation is in the first yeart.
I also like to let others weed out the problem components.
If 100 people buy a motherboard & 65 have a problem with it I know to avoid it. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:11 AM

I don't think prices will be too out of line. Lot's of competition as far as motherboards go, plus the chipset itself is cheap vs the X58. P55 motherboards will be around the $100 mark.

Mid level i5 looks to be about $280 US, and at that price will dust any Core 2 offerings. Socket 775 is dead to future upgrades. You can put together a faster i5 system for less than a Core 2. Core 2 quads are still near $300 for Q9650s.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

The PSU is the power supply unit, right?

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

The PSU is the power supply unit, right?

Yes.

For really good/entertaining PSU reviews: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

I don't think prices will be too out of line. Lot's of competition as far as motherboards go, plus the chipset itself is cheap vs the X58. P55 motherboards will be around the $100 mark.

Mid level i5 looks to be about $280 US, and at that price will dust any Core 2 offerings. Socket 775 is dead to future upgrades. You can put together a faster i5 system for less than a Core 2. Core 2 quads are still near $300 for Q9650s.

You can't actually beleive you can build a i5 system for less then a C2D system.

Then to try & skew it in your favor you compare the cost of a "mid level i5" to the cost of the most expensive top end 775 QUAD CORE

Lets compare a $280. mid level i5 to a $120. mid level C2D.

I seriously doubt the average user is going to find enough difference to justify the extra $160.

You're talking about a $280. CPU & I can build a complete unit for $400. that any average home user would be happy with.

The simple fact is "cutting edge" newly released components are being recommended for a $700. build.

Blow $380. on a motherboard/CPU that leaves $320. for a case, PSU. memory video card, DVD drive, & hard drive.
Even with the extra C note the OP is allowing for cheap components would have to be bought to get everything.

So basically a person gets a new motherboard & CPU & a cheap everything else.

A person would be farther ahead to invest in a good socket 775 unit running a good C2D .

BTW, Since the new i5 stuff is going to be so inexpensive are you going to replace all of your "old" stuff as soon as the i5 stuff is released ?

If the answer is no, why not ?

Edited by fairjoeblue, 11 August 2009 - 01:15 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

I quoted "apples to apples" speedwise, conservatively. That mid level i5 is comparable to the fastest of the Core 2 quads at this point. The i5 CPU is faster (turbo mode to ~3.4ghz), and cheaper than any Core 2 CPU Intel offers that is even close speedwise. Boards will be about $100, comparable to current P45 offerings (not the cheapie P45 boards, but mainstream units).

If you don't want to worry about "cutting edge" and don't need the horsepower for games etc, there is nothing wrong with going a Core2 setup, but you have "0" upgrade path. If it came down to choosing between a Core2 and a new AMD setup, AMD would be my choice at this point.

As far as: "BTW, Since the new i5 stuff is going to be so inexpensive are you going to replace all of your "old" stuff as soon as the i5 stuff is released ?"

I already have a nice i7 920 on a EX58-UD4P schlepping along at 3.5ghz. A bit pointless to clock it further until I can update my 4870 in a few months. The IP35 Pro/E6750 it replaced is doing fine in my HTPC setup.

"Lets compare a $280. mid level i5 to a $120. mid level C2D."

You can compare them, but what's the point? For the price of a cheapie Intel setup, he could build a quicker AMD setup. If you don't need a lightning fast system, that doesn't have an upgrade path, grab a Core 2 and a P45 board and build away. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize the limitations and future of that setup.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

My whole point is you don't send somebody with Ford money to the Lincoln dealer.

I fully understand that it's very easy to talk cutting edge , but not neccessarily to a person on a budget.

#11 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Here are three sites I've looked at alot for reviews of all things computer and more.

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

http://www.motherboards.org/

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

Maybe you will find some info here too.

Dan

#12 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

Getting a good mobo and then a psu will be your first step.Posted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

#13 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, I'm not really a hardcore gamer, unless you want to talk about the ps3 and the 360. I'm a college student and a nurse. I do graphic rendering on the side and photo retouching and refinishing in photoshop (yeah, i can repair your old damaged photos and give your new ones (and old) a bright faux shine lol). I play WoW, Doom, and a few other video games on my computer but nothing major (mostly b/c the new stuff isn't playable on my poor desktop). I am definitely on a budget. I'm willing to spend a little extra on something that's going to last me a little while as I don't buy computers very often. I take care of the computers I do get well enough they last me a while even after the parts are obsolete (obviously). I got a laptop for school and that's it. If I'm not at school it's not in use, except when I get to use it at work and usually that's letting a patient play a few flash games that are prescreened by his parents. lol So yes, if you guys have an advice on mobo's, psu's, cpu's that would be awesome. What should I be looking at while I'm looking for a mobo and psu? Looking at prices some are extremely expensive mobo's and psu's alike and some are really cheap. Obviously too cheap is a problem but I do have to work with in the budget I gave originally.

#14 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

he could build a quicker AMD setup.

Actually, he is a she. :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

It also helps...if we know how much dough you want to spend on this system...and what things you do on your system.

Ordinary computers (not built for gamers) generally serve the needs of us ordinary mortals. But that would never do if you game, feel obsessed with having a particular item, etc.

The only requirement to do a lot graphics editing (IMO) is more than 2GB of RAM and a decent program to utilize. Look at the system specs posited for the program...double or triple the RAM (as you like) and you pretty have it down.

And Photoshop has an excellent user forum where you can get some ideas of what works and what doesn't.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...rum&aqi=g10

Photoshop has been around for some time, so there is a history that can be relied on...more so than our speculations on what's needed to use it effectively.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users