Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OC Fail

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hi,

I have just come back from holiday, well yesterday my computer was working fine.

However today my computer restarted while I was using it for some reason, and then this happened a couple more times.

However now on boot I recieve a message about "OC Fail" or something, and then it proceeds to a message saying Windows cannot start because the file SYSTEM is missing or something of the sort.

What is going on?

I'm sure it's nothing to do with anything malicious.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Try entering the BIOS...and resetting the system to default settings.

You might also check the date/time in the BIOS. If either/both are incorrect, then there's a chance that your CMOS battery needs to be replaced.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS See Alternate Method #2.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi Louis thanks for taking the time out to reply,

I've just cleaned a lot of dust off the P.C, and letting it rest for an hour or so before booting it back up again.

Anyhow in detail here's exactly what happened, just incase it provides further insight:

I'm browsing the P.C this morning and notice some high usage so i close to desktop and see that my Comodo firewall is using a lot of CPU, and also rundll32.exe had opened (I knew this from opening Task Manager).

Then next thing I know the computer had restarted (but I don't know if this was because of me accedently pressing Ctrl+alt+del twice when trying to access the task manager) Anyway when the computer tried to restart it didn't, so I tried booting up again and it didn't, by this I mean the fan just continued making an agressive noise as it should do for a couple of seconds when it first tries to boot up, but it was doing this conintuly and nothing was starting up, not even the BIOS.

Anyhow I left my computer for a while come back and it did boot up this time.However after 5 mins of messing around on the P.C, infact I was just typing away on IM, and the computer automatically restarted itself. This is when I first noticed the OC fail message from the BIOS. Anyhow the computer still proceeded to boot up after this message, but on the Login screen I recieved a popup from Windows stating the regisgtry had been corrupted and repaired successfully or something along those lines. Anyhow I logged in, but more or less straight away the computer again automatically restarted itself. However Now this time when the computer restarted, I recieved the OC fail message again, but this time the computer did not proceed, instead I recieved the message "Windows cannot start because the file is missing or corrupt (can't remember the exact message)".

I haven't updated anything, Windows installed 2 security updates yesterday, and as I said I noticed Comodo using high CPU and rundll32.exe (possibly being executed by Comodo) but that's all.

What could have caused the automatic restarting of the computer?

Anyhow I will proceed to try your suggestion shortly.

Edited by JJ2K, 10 August 2009 - 11:33 AM.

#4 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

OK here is the latest update.

When I turned my P.C on it was still display the OC fail error from the BIOS, however the "Windows cannot start because xx file is missing" had dissapeared and windows was loading. Note there was a thing asking me to check my disk for consistency but i skipped this for now.

Anyhow my computer restarted at a random time again. So I proceeded to take Louis suggestion and reset the BIOS values. after doing this the OC fail message seems to have dissapeared for now, but my computer again randomly restarted while I was using it.

For one I don't even know why resetting the BIOS settings removed the OC fail message, because I wrote all the settings before I reset it, and the only settings it changed were:
Changing Floppy from Disabled to Enabled
Changing First Boot from Disabled to Floppy
Changing OnBoard Lan Boot Rom from Disabled to Enabled
My Hard-drive doesn't even have a floppy hence why these were disabled in the first place. I wrote down every setting and these were the only ones the reset has changed (unless it resets other things I can't see)...

Anyway the OC fail message has gone, but my computer is still restarting randomly for now.
Should I let the disk consistency check run? What happens if the computer decides to restart during this, it could cause a big problem?

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

How about replacing the power supply? It might not be holding the load or it just might be old and ready to die so it's cutting off. You should check that option out possibly before reconfiguring the entire PC. It's unlikely that your computer will stay powered on long enough to let Windows run the disk check, but you should let it do that once you have resolved the powering off issue.

Edited by Eric RBA, 10 August 2009 - 03:09 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

My error, I should have advised of the fact that there is no need to write down CMOS settings. That used to be the case, some time ago and some persons haven't modified their instructions for making BIOS changes.

Did you check the time/data in the BIOS?

You need to write down any error message that appears...when the system displays such.

You also need to run the chkdsk /r command right away. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y and hit Enter in response to onscreen query. Reboot the system, let the command run to execution...system will boot into XP when command is done.

Louis

#7 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

You also need to run the chkdsk /r command right away. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y and hit Enter in response to onscreen query. Reboot the system, let the command run to execution...system will boot into XP when command is done.

Louis

Louis, I don't know if it's likely that chkdsk is going to run to completion with the way that the machine is powering off. Do you think that if it loses power again, during the check, that a PSU replacement may be an idea?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Let's wait until that moment...I would replace the CMOS battery before I thought about a new PSU.

Systems don't have the ability to exhibit signs of life for varying reasons, I like to eliminate the easy ones first.

Louis

#9 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the replies Louis and Eric,

On every startup before the login screen i was being presented with a blue screen saying:
"One of your drives needs to be checked for consistency blah blah"
I decided to let it run, and here are the results of what it did (found them in my event viewer log):

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is HDD.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 2048 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2048 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2048 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

151037396 KB total disk space.
59833196 KB in 218499 files.
94616 KB in 15833 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
362932 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
90746652 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
37759349 total allocation units on disk.
22686663 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
80 da 03 00 67 93 03 00 4b fd 05 00 00 00 00 00 ....g...K.......
6f 05 00 00 02 00 00 00 cc 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 o...............
68 6a ff 05 00 00 00 00 16 a7 fb d7 00 00 00 00 hj..............
8a a6 95 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 50 1a 96 fe 00 00 00 00 ........P.......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 83 55 03 00 ..6......8...U..
00 00 00 00 00 b0 ed 43 0e 00 00 00 d9 3d 00 00 .......C.....=..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Now after this the check no longer appears before the login screen. Did this do what chkdsk /r does, or should i run chkdsk /r still?

In addition my BIOS is showing the correct time and date so I guess this rules out a CMOS battery problem.
Secondly the OC fail message has never re-appeared since I reset the settings.

The only problem remaining is the random restarts. I recived one after about 4 hours of computer usage today, then one more after about half an hour.
I have only just run that scan so I will see what happens.

Is disabling automatic restarts a good idea?
Also did my scan results shown above show any cause for concern?

Again thanks for the help.

#10 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

I think you're looking at an issue with the power supply or possibly overheating at this point. You did mention that you cleaned a lot of dust out of the PC. You may want to get back in there and check to make sure that you got all of the dust from the key places. With the machine powered off and unplugged, open it back up to get inside again. The most important place to thoroughly clean is your heat sink. It's a fairly large box mounted to the motherboard that will have a fan on top. This is what keeps your processor cool and can cause shut downs if there is overheating. Take a look at that, underneath the fan blades, to make sure that there isn't a layer of dirt/dust built up on it. If there is, gently blow all of the dust out. You may have a tough time with it, the dust on a heat sink tends to be stubborn. Then, make sure that the power supply is cleaned up as well. In case you're not sure where that is, it's the box mounted to the back of the PC most likely, where the power cord plugs in to. Use a can of compressed air to do this, as you won't really be able to get it with lung power, and make sure the blow out the excess dust that winds up in the case.

Let us know after you get in there and see that there is no dust, or if it's filthy or anything in between

Edited by Eric RBA, 11 August 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

The chkdsk /r needs to be run.

When XP prompts for a disk check before booting or at booting, it's a signal that a more thorough check is probably called for. Chkdsk /r is the most thorough check available within XP, while the chkdsk done automatically at boot (with message you posted) is less thorough.

Louis

#12 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

The computer still keeps restarting randomly.

Yesterday it was creating MiniDumps on the restart but today for some reason it is not. I have attached yesterdays MiniDumps if anybody knows how to read them to provide further insight.

Sometimes when the computer restarts it will not load up i can just hear the tower noise but nothing shows, but if I let the computer rest for a while say 5-10 minutes it will get past the boot screen and load up, which is strange.

On the last time it happened I was presented with a strange message stating:

RV370SE
P/N 113-AA31000-100-PC BIOS
113-PC500-04

This was before the BIOS splash screen as soon as I booted it up just on a black screen with white writing (like a DOS screen) and it was just stuck on this.

However again after I left the computer for 10minutes and tried to boot up again the message had dissapeared, however ever since this message I am also recieving the oc fail message again.

I know it's a lot of random things happening, and I think they are just all occuring because of the random restarts.

I will try and clean out the insides tommroow, and run chkdsk /r now if I can without it restarting.

Attached Files

Edited by JJ2K, 11 August 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#13 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Louis, I see something related to his BIOS in the error message. Maybe a BIOS firmware update might help?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

Generally...I never consider a BIOS update as a "cure" for anything.

BIOS updates are issued (generally) to provide additional functionality to known deficiencies with a given motherboard/system.

I don't see any indication that the CMOS battery has been replaced...which is what I would have done had I received the original error message.

Louis

#15 DomD2009

DomD2009

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi,
I am having this very same problem!
exactly the same scenario with me, I went on holiday for a week, come back about the 14th of august 09 and was met with this problem when i booted up my machine.

Within a few minutes, a random restart.... booted back up, soon as windows loaded, restart.... after about 3 of these, i notice the OC FAIL msg on the bios... then computer fails to load windows and freezes.

When restarting after this my TV just shows "no signal" msg as if the computer isnt on, or the tv and the tower arnt connected. (fan making loud aggressive noise)

I also have reset bios settings, nothing seemed to change, OC fail msg seemed to vanish but still get restarts and msg appears again now and then.
Windows eventually loads and says it has recovered from a serious error.

I have also found, leaving it for 5 -10 mins usually sorts the problem - It's been on for over an hour now, no problems.

I also have noticed this to be causing the most random of problems.... Graphics card software was starting up with an error which i got rid of by uninstalling and reinstalling.
my Internet wireless adapter stopped being recognised... again uninstall, reinstall, now fine.

it was doing my head in so much yesterday, i bit the bullet and went to reformat.... I put the windows disc in, get to the 'windows is checking ur hardware'.... and then it just reboots.....

This is sending me round the bend! if anyone has a solution to this I would be very greatful... I'm just hoping its not a hardware problem and something needs to be replace :thumbsup: the comp is about 5 years old now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users