Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 budhurstii

budhurstii

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

My hi speed connection (DSL) in our area has become extremely slow when surfing websites. I started noticing this when my automatic update(s) for ms downloaded and installed sp2 for windows xp home edition.

So I am starting with the obivious! Has there been any problems reported with internet connectivity from this download?

Is it my IP?

Could it be a virus?

I am currently using v-com-System Suite 5 for Antivirus w/firewall (always updating). I have webroot for spyware/adware. Utilizing FlashPeak/Slimbrowser for internet browsing.

Any thoughts!

Thankx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:18 AM

It could be that SP2 has its firewall enabled at the same time as your other firewall software.

Go into the control panel, then double-click on the Security Center, and then click on the Windows Firewall option. As long as you have another firewall running, turn the windows one off.

THen see if your internet speed is better

#3 budhurstii

budhurstii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:27 PM

Tried that.....no luck...Still extremely slow when accessing websites or pages within websites

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:14 PM

I did a little checking and came up with this - just to give our buddy Grinler a little break, well deserved I might add.
There are a number of possibilities that could cause your DSL internet to go slow.
Do you have Cable TV or Satellite Dish? Because they are often set up with your phone line(s) primarily for the purpose to rent PPV's. This can constantly send signals through your lines and therefore slow down your high speed. You can get filters to stop this. You'll need a filter in every line, though to solve the problem.
Also, they don't tell people this but if you are pretty far from the Central Office, this causes slow internet also. Additionally, how about your NIC card? If it's bad, it could be the source of your problem as well.
Good luck and post back with results. But hopefully your problem is short-lived.

~67~

Check out some free online sources to determine your speed. Just an FYI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users