Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headset not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bropey

bropey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:58 AM

Hey guys!
I just reformatted my Windows Vista 64bit Home edition.
Previously, before the reformat, my headset (Razer Carcharias) was working in Ventrilo fine. Now, I can't speak to anyone, nor hear them.

There are no drivers for this headset, and it works beautifully soundwise still. I can still listen to music and hear my startup sounds, etc.

I noticed that in my Sound options from my Control Panel, Speakers is working, but Headphones are "not plugged in." When I plug them into my front audiojacks, the headphones say working, but my mic still doesn't.

If anyone could help me with this, that would be great!

Thanks!
Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

Does it work if you plug it into the backside jacks?

There have been some issues with front side sound ports not working but backside ones will.

Sorry, am not familiar with the exact headset\microphone model.

One other thing to check. Under the XP Sounds and Audio devices, make sure "mute" is not checked under microphone.

#3 bropey

bropey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, it works plugged into the front, but not the back. I want it working in the back due to static from the travel distance in the front. I dont think it has anything to do with my mobo though.

In Sound from my control panel its not muted, but it says that its not plugged in, when it is.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

In Sound from my control panel its not muted, but it says that its not plugged in, when it is.

That makes it sound like it is reading the no-working backside jacks.

Sorry, have not played with Vista much yet. My only suggestion would be to see if there is an update for the required software.

Still leaning towards a mobo related issue. Does not mean it is broke, just a limitation. One thing you could try is disconnecting the front side jacks cable from the mobo to see if the backside ones then work.

Look through the mobo manual. There may be jumpers or dipp switches that need to be set properly for either the front or back to work.

#5 bropey

bropey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Alright I'll try those, thanks.

And when its plugged into my front jacks, I can't hear people talking in ventrilo, but I can hear music and such...

I'm really frustrated haha

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

And when its plugged into my front jacks, I can't hear people talking in ventrilo, but I can hear music and such...

I have zero experience with Ventrilo. Had to do a Google just to have an idea what we were talking about.

That may be a matter to take up with their Tech Support.

#7 bropey

bropey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Its like Skype in a way.

I don't think it has anything to do with Ventrilo, it's not working on any VOIP.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3226/notplugged.gif

My mobo isn't registerring that my mic has been plugged into my back panel jack. I can't make it default either.

Edited by bropey, 11 August 2009 - 12:31 AM.

#8 bropey

bropey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hmm, I get on today and it was fixed........

very confused but problem solved, thanks for the suggestions

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Is strange. But if none of the suggestions offered worked. Unless shutting down and restarting your PC (if you have) made a difference....

IMO, that points to a possible hic-up in Ventrilo or a pushed update that you are not aware of.

The "fix" would be nice to know. But in the end as long as it is working than it`s all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users