Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Cool’n’Quiet, RMClock, what did I do!?!?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starxcrost

starxcrost

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:52 AM

I hope I have not messed my computer up. I just wanted to figure out how to get the Cool & Quiet to actually work.

I have an ASUS A8N-E motherboard which “supports the AMD Cool’n’Quiet Technology that dynamically and automatically change the CPU speed, voltage, and amount of power depending on the task the CPU performs.”

I followed the instructions in the A8N-E user guide (Enabled Cool’n’Quiet in the BIOS, changed power scheme to Minimal Power Management, and Installed the Cool’n’Quiet driver and application). I launched the CnQ software, but the CPU Frequency never changes from 1800 MHz and the CPU Voltage never changes from 1.3750v.

I found a thread (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=916551) and decided to follow the instructions to get RightMark CPU Clock. I installed it and continued to follow instructions…then I got stuck when I came to this:

“6. In "P-State Transitions" tab, set the max FID to your startup multiplier and your VID to your startup Vcore. Note that if you have any additional voltage set in the BIOS, such as +100mV or +10%, this will still get applied to your VID voltage. You can leave the min values as default for now. “

I did not know what FID or VID meant or realize I was following instructions regarding overclocking!

I have since gained a very rudimentary understanding of FID, VID, and overclocking. However, I do not particularly want to overclock anything unless it is necessary. I just wanted my pc to be quieter when not in use (I usually leave it on all the time).

I am not sure what information is needed so that someone (please!) can help me. So here is all I can think of:

I usually work with Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Dreamweaver, and Microsoft applications.

Windows XP Professional
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
Tagan TG380-U01 (I think this is the power supply?)
ASUS Extreme N6200TC
Two 512MB PC3200 CL3 184-Pin DIMM (2 RAM sticks?)

Thank you in advance for any hellp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:20 AM

I highly do not reccomend overclocking unless your a high-end gamer.

There are just far to many dangers, you can badly physically damage your computer by overclocking when you dont need to.

And may i ask, why do you leave it running all the time?

It is definately a waste of alot of valuable power, and not only that but to much overheating can lead to extreme system damage.

And overclocking in no way makes your system work quiter, it makes it work louder and hotter.

#3 starxcrost

starxcrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hi thanks for your post.

I do not want to overclock. I just wanted to figure out how to get the Cool'n'Quiet thing to work since it is supposed to be a program that adjusts how much power is used based on what is being done with the computer at the time.

I thought this meant it would turn off the fan and use less energy at times when the pc is not in use. I leave my pc running all the time because I am back and forth to it throughout the day and usually once or twice in the middle of the night.

Can you offer any advice on what settings I should use to get the RMClock to make the Cool'n'Quiet work?

Thanks for your time.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:54 AM

Instead of using the cool and quiet thing, i reccomend a program using speedfan. You can set parameters for all the fans in your case and only tell them to turn on when the cpu reaches say 50% usage. Or something along that line. It also offers motherboard temperature monitoring.

Im not much the overclocker myself so im not particularly useful in the current situation.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#5 starxcrost

starxcrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

Okay...I downloaded and installed Speedfan.

I looked at the Help file, but I really do not know how to configure it.

Could you possibly help me with that?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users