Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving files from old drive to new computer - access denied

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

I want to copy My Documents (among others) from my old XP drive, which is installed in the new Vista machine. Every time I select My Docs, copy and paste, from the old XP drive to the new drive, it says "You'll need administrator permission to copy this file." That seems to mean most files in My Docs on the old drive. I've tried setting the whole drive to shared, then set all the folders in [E:\Documents and Settings\owner\my documents] to shared. Same message.

I am the only user and administrator. I double checked that. I'm new to Vista.

Can anyone help, I really need this machine tomorrow.

Thanks,
Rusty

Edited by RknRusty, 09 August 2009 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

This LINK should shed some lite.

Edited by ThunderZ, 09 August 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

That works, and i have used it since then. But for a massive file transfer, I actually did it by booting a ubuntu CD and copying everything. There were no permission problems after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users