Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reload XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos Stephens

Carlos Stephens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I need help to wipe this dell inspiron 6000 and reload the operating system disk. The disk came with the laptop and when inserted in the drive asks if I want to load XP sp2. I do, but want to be sure the drive is wiped clean first. Can I boot from the CD? I donot think there is a hidden partition on the dirve asthe laptop was shipped with the Dell os disk for XP SP2 and Drivers and Utilties disk and an applications disk. I hoped the OS Disk was an image. I am in Canada and my friend is in Mexico and I am trying to support over Skype. I have tried to chat with Dell support and have had a message in the lower corner of my computer saying "You are next in queue" been here for 57 min. now. Help!

Edited by Carlos Stephens, 09 August 2009 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

You should be able to boot with the OS CD. It will ask about existing partitions. You can choose to wipe\format them at this time then XP will install.

One way to be sure there is not a hidden restore partition is there will be a prompt to strike a certain key when booting. Usually an Fx key. x = a number. Do not confuse this with two other options that may appear with the Dell boot screen. Both of these will also include an Fx key option. One is to enter set-up. The other one that may appear will be something like "to enter BIOS" or "to change boot order".

#3 Carlos Stephens

Carlos Stephens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Thanks do you think I will need to change the boot order to get it to boot from the CD?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

If you can boot into Windows, Right click on My Computer icon on your desktop and select Manage. Then select Disk Management under subcategory Storage. All your hard disks would be listed as Disk 0, Disk 1 etc and their partition structure would be also visible. If you have only one hard disk then you would find only Disk 0. There you can all the partitions of your hard disk.

When you boot from XP CD, it will give you an option to format your partition (on which you want to install XP). You can format that partition to wipe your exisiting Windows installation.

Step by step XP installation walkthrough : http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Thanks do you think I will need to change the boot order to get it to boot from the CD?

If the BIOS has never been changed from default then changing boot order should not be need`d.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users