Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HijackThis and MBAM disappear when scanning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 Kewpy

Kewpy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hello
Both HijackThis and Malwarebytes terminate shortly after starting. HijackThis gets about 80% done, and terminates and Malwarebytes only runs for 6 seconds.

Then, neither program will even load again at all unless I reinstall them, then the same thing happens.

I seem to have several infections, most notably is PC-antispyware2010, Windows antivirus 2009, Braviax (although that's just the file name - forget the name of the infection it causes), etc.

I have been able to get a lot of it cleaned using several tools, such as SDFIX, OTM, even good old Spybot S&D seemed to find some stuff. After reading a bit here, I tried Dr. Web, but it didn't find anything.

I also did quite a bit of manual registry cleaning. Strange thing there, some stuff was hiding in "plain site"! Meaning, I did a search for a particular entry, yet it wouldn't find it. However, I knew where it was, and I could plainly see it! Somehow it masked itself from the "Find" utility. Also, I had to take out some entries with a Windows Boot disk (ERD) as they wouldn't delete while the registry was "live".

However, I still have the big "DANGER!!!, Your PC is seriously infected" etc, splashed across the screen in RED letters, which I can get rid off by deleting the entry named "Tets" in the Display properties, Desktop, "Web Pages" applet. It's the only entry - there isn't a "My Current Home Page" listing. (should be, though), but it comes right back on reboot. And as I said at the top, some stuff won't run to completion, indicating that I still have some infections.

A fresh install of Avast found quite a bit during its "pre-Windows boot" scan, but some of that came back. Also, system restore is disabled - I wonder if it's really still there and that's where everything is hiding out. Oh, and Avast looks like it has a problem as well.

Anyway, I think that's enough information for now to advise you of what my current situation is. Oh, running Win XP SP3.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Edited by Kewpy, 09 August 2009 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hello
While waiting, been doing lots of reading. Seems RootRepeal was recommended a lot, so I tried that. However, no luck as it crashes with a BSOD (Digital signitures was uncheched by default)
Tried safe mode as well-same BSOD

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Try sophos next:
Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes.
  • Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
  • Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
  • If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click Start scan.
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hi Boopme
Thanks for helping and I will follow your instructions directly.

While I was waiting, I used GMER and it completed sucessfully. Here are the results which show the hidden processes:

GMER 1.0.15.15020 [buy9xcrl.exe] - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-08-10 20:09:55
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

---- System - GMER 1.0.15 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwClose [0xB144F6B8]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwCreateKey [0xF7495514]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwCreateProcess [0xF7484282]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwCreateProcessEx [0xF7484474]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwDeleteKey [0xF7495D00]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwDeleteValueKey [0xF7495FB8]
SSDT 8A7164A0 ZwDeviceIoControlFile
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDuplicateObject [0xB144F14C]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwOpenKey [0xF74943FA]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenProcess [0xB144F08C]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenThread [0xB144F0F0]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwQueryValueKey [0xB144F76E]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwRenameKey [0xF7496422]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwRestoreKey [0xB144F72E]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwSetValueKey [0xF74957D8]
SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwTerminateProcess [0xF7483F32]

Code 8A7157B0 pIofCompleteRequest

---- Kernel code sections - GMER 1.0.15 ----

? win32k.sys:1 The system cannot find the file specified. !
? win32k.sys:2 The system cannot find the file specified. !

---- User code sections - GMER 1.0.15 ----

.text C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE[1600] GDI32.dll!GetHFONT + 51 77F17EA7 7 Bytes CALL 35672DDC \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll
.text C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE[1600] GDI32.dll!GetTextExtentPoint32W + E4 77F18081 7 Bytes CALL 35672DF8 \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll
.text C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE[1600] USER32.dll!CallNextHookEx + 4A 7E42B410 7 Bytes CALL 35672DB0 \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll
.text C:\Program Files\Kodak\Digital Display\OrbKodakLauncher\DllStartupService.exe[1932] kernel32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter 7C84495D 5 Bytes JMP 004073E0 C:\Program Files\Kodak\Digital Display\OrbKodakLauncher\DllStartupService.exe (KodakDigitalDisplayService/Orb Networks, Inc.)

---- User IAT/EAT - GMER 1.0.15 ----

IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[736] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [ADVAPI32.dll!CreateProcessAsUserW] 00380002
IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[736] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [KERNEL32.dll!CreateProcessW] 00380000
IAT C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE[1600] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll [ntdll.dll!NtWriteFile] [35672AAE] \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll
IAT C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE[1600] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll [ntdll.dll!LdrGetProcedureAddress] [35672A38] \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Device \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs 8A711AD0

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)

Device \FileSystem\Mup \Dfs 8A711AD0

AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip 8A714740

Device \Driver\aswTdi \Device\AswUdpFilter 8A714740
Device \FileSystem\RAW \Device\RawTape 8A711AD0

AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp 8A714740

Device \Driver\aswTdi \Device\ASWTDI 8A714740
Device \Driver\aswTdi \Device\AswTcpFilter 8A714740
Device \FileSystem\PCTCore \Device\PCTCoreDevice 8A711AD0
Device \FileSystem\Mup \Device\Mup 8A711AD0

AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp 8A714740
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp 8A714740

Device \FileSystem\RAW \Device\RawDisk 8A711AD0
Device \FileSystem\RAW \Device\RawCdRom 8A711AD0
Device \FileSystem\Mup \Device\WinDfs\Root 8A711AD0
Device \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat B053AD20

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat 8A711AD0
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltmgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)

Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\UdfsCdRomRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\FatCdRomRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\CdfsRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\FatDiskRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\UdfsDiskRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
---- Processes - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\sofatnet.exe [224] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe [992] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe [1032] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe [1144] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe [1440] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE [1448] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE [1600] 0x35670000

---- Threads - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Thread explorer.exe [1600:1688] 01680000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe [1888] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\Program Files\Kodak\Digital Display\OrbKodakLauncher\DllStartupService.exe [1932] 0x35670000
Library \\?\globalroot\Device\__max++>\5BA9C5EE.x86.dll (*** hidden *** ) @ C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe [2596] 0x35670000

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

good,, OK.
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

How's it running now?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

I ran Sophos Anti Root kit 1.5.
It completed sucessfully (surprisingly, nothing else did) and while I could've sworn the pop up window said 24 items, the program only showed 10, none of which were recomended for removal.
Here is the log:

Sophos Anti-Rootkit Version 1.5.0 © 2009 Sophos Plc
Started logging on 8/10/2009 at 21:02:40 PM
User "Lisa Riccio" on computer "LISA"
Windows version 5.1 SP 3.0 Service Pack 3 build 2600 SM=0x300 PT=0x1 Win32
Info: Starting process scan.
Info: Starting registry scan.
Info: Starting disk scan of C: (NTFS).
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashAvast.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
Hidden: file C:\SAV32CLI\SAV32CLI.EXE
Hidden: file C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-55164706-2475231814-1262886653-1006\Dc6\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
Stopped logging on 8/10/2009 at 21:26:44 PM

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

Ok kewpy.. let;s see the MBAM too,so I kniow what's left.

#9 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hi Boopme
Before I attempt mbam, I'm wondering about the GMER log I posted.

It's pop-up said that I had several root kit infections, but Sophos didn't find any of them, so nothing has changed.

I will attempt to run MBAM again, but I'll have to install it to a new folder again, as everytime it runs and quits, (after 5 seconds) I then have to re-install it.

Thanks.

#10 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Ran Malwarebytes. Same problem, it dissapears after 5 seconds of scanning.

If I try to re-start it, I get a pop up that says that Windows can't acess the specific device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I can re-install it, and it'll run and scan 5 seconds.

Could this be a hardware problem now? I seem to sometimes get BSODs when some of these scanning programs quit. Perhaps I should run a checkdisk /F ?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hi,, I am not certain it is hardware.. Did GMER say it found Rootkits and ask you to remove them?
I am wondering if Rootrepeal will run on here.

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive.
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

#12 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

No Good.
Root Repeal craps out almost the instant the scan starts and gives me a BSOD (Stop 0X........050)

Malwarebytes and HijackThis just disappear when scanning

And YES, GMER said there were rootkit infections

Edited by Kewpy, 10 August 2009 - 11:10 PM.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

I have to go now..

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding Rist attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.
If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.

OR
If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download runscanner.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Runscanner (C:\Runscanner) and extract (unzip) the file there.
    (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Double-click Runscanner.exe to launch.
  • Select Beginner mode and click Ok.
  • Select Do a full scan and save a log file (default is Full Scan) to start.
  • Please be patient and do not use your computer during the scan.
  • When the scan is complete, a window will open asking you to save runscanner.run. Click Cancel.
  • Another window will open asking you to save runscanner.log.
  • Save it to your desktop and "Save as type: Runscanner log file [*.log].
  • The log file will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Go to the top menu, click on "Format" and uncheck "Word Wrap" if checked.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the log file into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
  • Exit Runscanner when done.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If Runscanner did not work, then reply back here.

#14 Kewpy

Kewpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

No, DDS just opens and sits there with a blinking curser.

Both RSIT and Runscanner do the same as all the other programs: Start and scan for a bit and disappear.

GMER was the only one that went to completion. Is there not enough info there to manually remove things?

Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by Kewpy, 11 August 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Ok, you got some serious infection here.. I would not be surprised if reformat and reinstall isn't the final words here.

Please download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double click on the OTL Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Select 30 days from the File Age: drop down menu.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Click the Posted Image button to start.
  • Do not use the computer while the scan is in progress.
  • When the scan is complete, two log files will open in Notepad:
    • Both logs are automatically saved to the Desktop.
    • Please copy the contents of OTL.txt to the clipboard by highlighting everthing and pressing Ctrl+C or after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy and then paste it into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
    • Also copy/paste the contents of Extras.Txt in your reply as well. If the Extras.Txt log is too long, you may need to add a second reply to your thread.
    • Click the red X in the upper right corner to exit OTL.
    Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If OTL did not work, then reply back here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users