Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot XP at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elexander

Elexander

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi, i was trying to boot into safemode to remove a virus but everytime i tried to do it using the tap c key option it kept giving me a BSOD. I read that you could get it to boot into safemode by selecting safeboot in the boot.ini file in the msconfig file which i did. Now it's stuck trying to boot in safeboot and keeps crashing and i can't get it to boot normal to change it back. Do any of you know how to use the xp cd's recovery console to change the boot mode back to normal so I can get on and get my files off? I've decided to just reformat once i get back on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Type these commands in the Recovery Console:

ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak
exit

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Elexander

Elexander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

Bless you sir! You are a true savior, you have no idea the kind of horror solutions i was hearing i'd have to do to fix this lol Thank you again for all of your help.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

You're welcome.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hmmm, odd. I thought the recovery console couldn't access files outside of %systemroot% :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users