Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used combofix to get rid of a virus and now nothing works including DDS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chandman

chandman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks to boopme to guide me to this point, however, as I mentioned in my original post no program can be run on my computer as we speak (since using combofix). including DDS.scr... I'm afraid It simply gives me the "illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" error (the same as anything else). I have the combofix log however, if that may be of any help. And I think the registries are also still in the C:\qoobox folder.

It looks like everything is running perfectly, I can browse folders etc. or copy/pase, I just can't run any applications. System restore doesn't work either.

Below you can see my original email:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a computer running win32 Vista and today I had a trojan "packed.win32.tdss.m" in my computer. I have a ZoneAlarm security suite which was not updated for about a week or so. My antivirus was finding this trojan but couldn't delete it, my only option was to "delete on startup" except evrytime I started up the computer, ZoneAlarm would give me an error and do absolutely nothing, and it would subsequently find the virus again in its scan!

So I googled for people with the same problem, I came across a post where a moderator had suggested the use of "combofix.exe" to someone with a similar problem. I renamed the Combofix file ran it and it went through its scan and now apparently it has marked a lot of registries for deletion (i'm not sure) and now nothing works. Every time I try to run a file it says "illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

I'm not very computer savvy but I searched for the "combofix" tutorial and it forwarded this forum as a place where I can get suggestions on what to do with the log file that is created. I have not touched the computer since its original combofix restart, and right now I'm using my friend's computer to write this email.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again,

C.

Edited by chandman, 09 August 2009 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maranatha

maranatha

Whats That !

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:13 AM

Hi chandman
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Do you still require help with this situation? Please respond to this post and I'll see what we can do.

Thanks
maranatha

Windows7 Professional 64 Bit

I'm going in the wrong direction to be in a hurry!

unite_mo.jpg

My help is always free, But I do accept donations.
Donate Here

#3 chandman

chandman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

Thank you very much for your message maranatha. The problem as a whole seems to be resolved thanks to your colleague 'boopme'. However, I was unable to set a new restore point as he suggested in his last post. Nothing happens when I click on it.

#4 maranatha

maranatha

Whats That !

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi
OK, Thanks for the reply.
Tell boopme that you can't set a restore point. I'm sure he can help ypu out.

Thanks
maranatha

Windows7 Professional 64 Bit

I'm going in the wrong direction to be in a hurry!

unite_mo.jpg

My help is always free, But I do accept donations.
Donate Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users