Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help ID this virus!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gregcann

gregcann

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

Hello All,
I recently lent my laptop to a "friend" & it has come back with something nasty!

Firstly it would not connect wirelessly to my secured network staying on "acquiring network address". The only way to get it to work was by switching off all security.

Then I noticed I could not open device manager.

I tried to use system restore but it has been disabled and cannot be enabled as the option is greyed out with "disabled by group policy" or similar.

I was using AVG but it won't run & neither will spybot ot malwarebytes.

Cannot boot in safe mode I get the blue screen of death!

Internet explorer will not allow navigating to any antivirus sites.

The only thing that I found would run was "Stopzilla" which flagged bogus host files plus other errors but will not fix them without upgrading.

The situation has now worsened to the point that even the wired ethernet port cannot get an IP address by DHCP & it will not allow a fixed IP to be set.

Where do I start to kill this beast?!

All comments welcome.

Greg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

You could try this scan:

http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users