Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think I fried my external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thegongshow13

thegongshow13

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

I unplugged my hard drive from the wall one time while it was on, and since then its not being recognized by the computer, is it fried? How can I tell? I've tried hooking it up to every USB port on my computer and still nothing. I haven't tried hooking it up to any other computers.

advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trinpim

Trinpim

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

There are several reasons for this:
1. External Hard drives are generally slower than Internal Drives.
2. Many of them come preformatted with Fat32, so you are limited to files no larger then 4gig.
3. They are more likely to fail because they are normally subjected to a greater likelihood of accidental bumping or dropping.
4. Many external drive enclosures are not properly cooled for continuous usage and thus lead to premature failure.
5. You often have no idea what brand of hard drive is actually inside the enclosure.

When you plug it in and have it turned on does the computer make any beeps or show in the systray that a new device has been detected? Also open the device manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager) and check under disk drives to see if anything is there regarding your external drive.

Edited by Trinpim, 09 August 2009 - 11:02 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

Here is a little tweak that may help. See bold text below.
The external HDD will actually install several different drivers. 1 under Disk Drives. This will also identify the type of HDD in the enclosure. Another driver will be installed under Storage Volumes and 2(?) more under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Usually listed as USB device and USB Mass Storage Device. This repeats every time you plug the same device into a different USB port.

If you expand every + sign in Device manager you will probably see many light gray entries. It is not safe to remove them all. Do`t ask me how I know. :thumbsup:
If in doubt leave it alone. In particular devices found under Network adapters and Sound, video and game controllers. Also tread carefully in Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

You may also find remnants from now uninstalled software.

When you install a device driver on a Windows XP machine, the operating system loads that driver each time the computer boots regardless of whether the device is present—unless you specifically uninstall the driver. This means that drivers from devices that you have long since removed from your system may be wasting valuable system resources.

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

Edited by ThunderZ, 09 August 2009 - 11:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users