Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - Windows Explorer Not Responding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 RosieMe

RosieMe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hello!

I tried to open My Computer, and received a Not Responding response. Hm. Tried to copy files to my D drive when I wanted to burn a disk, and the same thing... Not Responding. I click OK each time, and all desktop icons, and task bar disappear then blink on bit, by bit, after waiting another min and a half for them to all fully load back on... each time.

Since then, Booting up, and reaching my desktop seems to take forever!

I turn on the computer: 30 sec. to reach the first VGA screen.

VGA screen, then goes to black for a good 2 minutes before I get to the Welcome screen; sits at Welcome screen for about a min.

From the Welcome screen: 1 1/2 mins. to the background of the desktop, then another minute and a half before the icons finally appear.

Tried to boot into safe mode, using F8. Tried twice, both times going to Whistler, then a page of command lines(s) then nothing. Finally, ( Firefox, and IE work fine although very slow to open) after googling to find a fix for it I learned to enter safe mode through BOOT.INI

Once I got to Safe Mode (finally) I ran:

Avast: (Thorough scan including archived files = 5+ hrs!) found, and deleted (could not move to Chest) 2 viruses, one of them a Trojan; the other I can't remember.

Re-booted to normal, still the snags I mentioned above occurred. Once to Desktop (finally), I ran:

AdAware: 42 issues, and deleted all.

Spybot S&D: found 24, one of which was a trojan, then various PUP's, all supposedly fixed.

Scandisk: Scheduled for/at start up.... if it found errors I wouldn't know because the result page just flashed on/off before sludging on to the Welcome screen.

My tower, inside and out, is clean, and well ventilated to stay cool.

When googling, in an attempt to find a fix, I consistently ran into "Repair Windows Explorer from your XP OS disk" ... Unfortunately, I don't have one.

I do have Hijack This to generate a log if needed for me to run one to post, if needed.

I'm exhausted trying on my own for this entire weekend so far, and getting no where, and unfortunately am not in a position to afford to take it to a computer repair shop, or replace this system.

Thank you so much, in advance, for your time and effort, in trying to helping me to resolve this issue!

~Rose~

EDIT: I also ran: "Scan for, and repair, bad sectors"; and, tossed old programs. Ran CCleaner, and fixed all issues found. None of which made a difference.

Edited by RosieMe, 09 August 2009 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

The scan-disk log can be found in the Event Viewer under an item called "winlogon".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 RosieMe

RosieMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

Hello, and thank you Budapest. :thumbsup:

Sorry it took a while for me to respond; after reading your reply, I had to google how to find out how to find the scan-disk log.

Right click My Computer, left click Manage, left click Event Viewer, then Application, THEN winlogon. Whew...lol

Ok... did that. There is a loooong list of events.

The latest winlogon entry:

Type: Information
Date: 8/9/09
Time: 2:12:28 PM (another entry, of the same, at 2:05:52 PM)
Source: winlogon
Category: None
Event: 1002
User: N/A
Computer: (ID)

Description: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

However, there is a link in the description box to the Help and Support Center, in blue. The link led to this info:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1002
Source: Winlogon
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

Explanation
The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

User Action
No user action is required.

Version: 5.0
Component: Application Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

Explanation
The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

User Action
No user action is required.

And, that's it.

??? ... ~Rose~

Edited by RosieMe, 10 August 2009 - 02:17 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

This is not the correct entry.

Look at the time and date and match those to the time you ran the scan-disk.

If you can't find it try running it again:

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 RosieMe

RosieMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:24 AM

Ok. Will do so immediately, and report back with result. (May take a bit, considering this terrible lagging issue.)

#6 RosieMe

RosieMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:46 AM

The date, and time(s) posted previously were correct... they were the last times I performed those functions before posting here.

The newest entry now:

Type: Information
Date: 8/10/09
Time: 4:13:38 AM
Source: winlogon
Category: None
Event: 1001
User: N/A
Computer: (ID)

Description: There was far more written then previously, but am not able to copy and paste that info to here. I clicked the clip board button to perhaps copy and paste the info from there, but now cannot find the clip board to do so. Ugh.

Edited by RosieMe, 10 August 2009 - 03:47 AM.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,948 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:21 AM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248305/hjt-log-windows-not-ie-explorer-not-responding/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users