Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Pot-Hole Patching" with Win XP SP2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:13 AM

HOORAY! I got my MS XP SP2 upgrade in the mail YESTERDAY!!
And only 13 days after I ordered the CD from MS.

It was shipped in a flimsier envelope than the SP1 upgrade was sent in previously, and the edges of the envelope were curled up around the disk. I feared the disk was damaged - I lucked out - it was not damaged.
(No thanks to the USPS!)

Since before I even ordered the disk, I've been searching and reading everything I could find about this "patch", preparing to do the dirty deed.

I'd been to the MS item @

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...sp2preview.mspx>

and read it all through as well as imported the info to my own files.

After some searching around I found the following item that I chose to use as a guide to do my "pothole repairs".

<http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm>

I followed this guide almost to the letter with the following exceptions:

I backed up all my files on CDs (8 gigs) first. I backed up all other ancillary programs I use also to separate CDs.

Then I set a fresh Restore Point. (I'm using a 2001 issued version of XP Home & Home Office with all updates from MS to the release of SP2.)

I then began to follow the list from SPACKINS:

Except #12. "Run chkdsk to check file system", and #13. “Perform Disk Cleanup (all boxes checked except Compress old files)."
I use a "System Mechanic" program to do these instead.

After completing item #15, I set another Restore Point.

When accomplishing item #16 - "Disconnect all peripherals..."
Do Not Disconnect your keyboard or mouse as I did initially! You're going to need to use them both. (Tee-hee)

After one completes the last item #23, I suggest you again set a Restore Point as I did.

After more than 16 hours of operation with the SP2 update, I've had NO PROBLEMS - what-so-ever. I've run the gamut of programs on my system with the exception of the games (which I'm waiting for kids and grandkids to test out) with out any noted glitches.

Questions?
I don't have the answers.

It would be nice if someone at "BC" would write up a tutorial like that at SPACKINS. NOT to plagiarize, but to flesh out the process, possibly explaining a bit more of what is going on.

My thanks to all that contributed to my "successful update" - too numerous to mention by nickname...

-Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:11 PM

Great read! It should also be stated that if your computer is infested spyware or other malware, XP SP2 has been known to have a lot of problems after installation.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:16 AM

This a shameless "bump" to put this item in the face of those who haven't searched the site for an answer to a question they pose.

UPDATE: I"ve still not had a single problem with the SP2 upgrade!!!

My McAfee AV did accomplish an upgrade to rectify a small problem they had with the SP2 upgrade - it took them all of one week from the release date +/- a day or two!

Those who are having SP2 upgrade problems need to check with MS re such; dispose of non-compliant software, hardware, etc, or shift to another OS as I'm in the process of doing myself. LINUX!!!

If you're using AOL, AIM, Yahoo, Earthlink, Lycos, or even MSN Hot-mail you put yourself at risk for everything out in the ether that's going around. If you Kaaza or P2P or down load games, you're more at risk. If you're not fire-walled tightly, running the best AV you can get, and accomplishing daily maintenance for your system via anti-spyware and malware programs then you "get what you log into..."

Harsh? Darn right! But that's the reason you've come to this site! You need help!

Pay Attention - these "Pros" will steer you in the correct direction. Whether or not you choose to follow that guidance is ....

And have some patience... it takes some time to read your post and figure out what needs to be done to help you.

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:41 PM

Questions? I don't have the answers.

Your tongue is in you cheek as surely as the preparatory steps you took were very effective. You've answered the half of it in these few words...

If you're using AOL, AIM, Yahoo, Earthlink, Lycos, or even MSN Hot-mail you put yourself at risk for everything out in the ether that's going around. If you Kaaza or P2P or down load games, you're more at risk. If you're not fire-walled tightly, running the best AV you can get, and accomplishing daily maintenance for your system via anti-spyware and malware programs then you "get what you log into..."

Having been on that march, back from the Internet, covered with mud myself... I heartily agree. Reality rears it's ugly head up from the swamps. Online isn't the candy store, my friends. (it can get mighty foggy out there at times, no matter what your screen resolution is set at)

Very pleased to hear of your results, Koan, and all I want for Christmas is Linux under the tree. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users