Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moved computer. Now no sound at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

I moved my computer to a different location and now I don't have sound from my speakers or system sounds. I have tried other speakers, no help. It is connected correctly. Power is plugged in and green jack to green jack on computer. The sound card is new so it can't be the sound card.

This happened once before when I upgraded to a larger hard drive and lost sound. It cost me $180 for a tech to come and reformat the new drive and re-install Windows XP.

I have re-installed the drivers for the sound card. Device manager says it is working properly. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

You could try headphones just to assure it is not the speaker connection.

Assuming you have gone to Control Panel>Sounds, checked that the speakers are checked, checked that all volume controls are not set to minimum, mute is not checked in any location, checked the speaker icon on the task bar, the usual stuff, then . . .

Try a system restore to a date before you moved the computer, if not that . . .

Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound card. Reboot, and let Windows reinstall. Use the disk that came with the sound card to reinstall drivers and other applications. Then check the sound card web site for any updated drivers.

Could the sound card have possibly been jarred loose during the move?

Edited by Moby Purple, 09 August 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#3 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

You're not going to believe how stupid this is. I have been putting the green plug in the back of the computer, in the green jack where your speakers normally go.

When I pulled the computer completely out, laid it face down, I could now see that down at the very bottom of the computer case was another set of connections. The sound card was down at the bottom of the case! Didn't even know it was there. Anyway, plugged it in there and voila! I have sound. But I am so embarrassed that I couldn't figure that out before I went mental and posted, taking up people's time. Sorry about that. Chalk it up to stupidity.

#4 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Everyone here could relate a similar event that has happened to them at some time or another, including me. It's just part of computering. Glad you got sounds again!!

#5 Delphine

Delphine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

I registered just to say THANK YOU...I've been struggling with this problem for three days and never thought to check for another plug. And there it is, way down there at the bottom, just as green as can be. Had to download the sound card driver again, but everything's fine now. And I know a lot more about how computers work...I've even been in the BIOS :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users