Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Hard Drive Adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laserblade001

laserblade001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

I'm having a bit of an issue pulling files from a hard drive, and wasn't sure if this belonged in this area, or the internal hardware section.

Some months ago my old laptop died, most likely a motherboard issue, and I purchased a new computer (Windows Vista). The hard drive from the old computer remained intract, and I realized after adding my backup files to my new comp. that there were still some files on the old computer that I wanted, but had not had backed up on my memory stick. (mainly pictures, some documents). To retrieve these files, I got an ATA-usb adapter so i could attach my old drive to my current computer and copy the files over. I had no problems until I went to transfer the files, at which point I was told i did not have permission to access the file source.

Unfortunately, these files were stored in my administrative user account document folder, which was password-protected (Windows XP); and now I can't access the files through the adaptor as I'm not "logged in. I need to know if there's any way I can bypass this requirement, or get the hard drive on the USB to log me in, so to speak.

Thank you for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

What makes you think you need to be "logged in" to access files?

Content of error messages, please.

Sounds to me like this ought to take care of it...How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2009 - 11:23 AM.

#3 laserblade001

laserblade001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thank you for the link, finally got it working with the instructions.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Well done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users