Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP not loading, black screen!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 squelch17

squelch17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:56 AM

I've got a laptop and Windows XP, and twice now within the last week, when I try to turn it on, it loads a little Centrino picture (think it's Centrino), then, when it should display the loading information, the white text stuff before going into the Windows loading screen, it simply doesn't load it. All I get is a black screen, with a little horizontal flashing white line (Like it's waiting for an instruction)
Both times I've put the XP CD in, and pressed Repair, then when it tells me to pick an installation of Windows, I pick it (It's my D drive), then it comes up with D:/WINDOWS
After that I've typed help to get the list of commands, and then found the one I needed both times, can't remember which one it was off the top of my head, but it was something about getting the computer to load that installation of Windows, then I type exit, take the CD out and turn it off, then on again, and it loads Windows. Why is this problem happening though? I've never had it before, and it's happened twice, not sure if it's a coincidence, but both times it's happened after connecting to the internet (which also says something about an invalid security certificate)
Can anyone help, or at least tell me what's likely to be wrong, and whether a new computer seems like it might be necessary?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rmm55

rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:08 AM

Next time, try booting the computer from the CD. select "R" instead of "enter" when "Setup" starts. Load the Recovery Console and when in the command prompt type in chkdsk /r. Let this run and it will fix any errors on the hard drive which is what I think is happening here.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

#3 squelch17

squelch17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:53 PM

Ooooh, ok, thanks, will write that down and hope I don't lose the piece of paper before the next time it does that!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users