Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing is a Valid Win32 Application.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RichterScales

RichterScales

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Running a Dell Laptop Insperon 640M, Windows XP. A hardware issue with the laptop's wiring leaves the attached display 100% dead, and forces me to rely on an external (Dell) monitor.
Yesterday, I decided to update my Malwarebytes Anti Malware program.

Shortly after doing that, I discovered AVCare had let itself into my computer. Mbam.exe wouldn't launch, though it would display in the list of active processes under the ctrl+alt+delete menu. After Googling the issue (and winding up here), I decided to try renaming MBAM.EXE to MABM.BAT. This worked, I found ~150 infected objects, and cleaned them without really looking them over. Rebooted at Malwarebyte's request to finish the job.

This morning found me with "Google installer" being unable to launch, infected with "Windows Antivirus Pro," and svchost.exe also asking me to send an error report. ViewMgr.exe is unable to launch. I am not familiar with the functions of the last two. I also had what appeared to be a legitimate, XP message informing me that my Firewall had been disabled. Attempting to run MABM.BAT(.exe) gave me a popup (from Windows Antivirus Pro) that the item is infected. renaming again didn't fix this. I ctrl+alt+del'd to close the Windows Antivirus Pro, knowing it'd be back up within a few seconds. I then attempted to launch MBAM while WAVP was down. It launched, I started the scan, and left for work, asking my older brother to finish the scan.

I return after a 10 hour shift to find the laptop powered down. My bro is gone for the weekend without his phone, so I can't find out what happened after I left. Powering it on, I find none of the typical "start up stuff" displaying. My external monitor displays an orange light over it's power button, as though it is receiving no signal, until my Desktop displays. I am not able to discern when the option to launch "Safe Mode" is displayed, if it is there at all.

Windows Antivirus Pro is still there. And now MBAM will not launch because it is "Not a valid win32 application." I try to reinstall MBAM, and the mbam setup.exe will not run, but for the same reason. Almost none of my .exe will launch. Firefox launches, I search, try to download and install ATF-Cleaner. This program is also "Not a valid win32 application." I try renaming Mbam to "Firefox.exe," however it still won't launch. SmitFraudFix (downloaded for an earlier issue) gives me a similar message. I examine the active processes, to find a startlingly low 31 of them running. (On average I have ~58.)

I figure I'll try and exhaust my last few options before turning this over to Best Buy's Geek Squad on Tuesday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users