Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Folder Options" greyed out; registry value errors?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sfari

Sfari

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:31 PM

Hello,

I've had a problem that's been bugging me for the last 2 hours. I was trying to view Hidden Files and Folders in Explorer (I have Windows Vista Premium SP2).
Now I went to "Folder and Search Options" under "Organize", only to find that it was greyed out. After doing this, I read that if you use the registry editor, there is a "NoFolderOptions" value that can be deleted to enable this again. However, after going to the HKCU and HKLM directories to find these values, they're not there.

How can I delete something that doesn't exist in the first place?

So I'm wondering if there's some other way to be able to enable the folder options.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

Not sure exactly where you are looking for Folder Options.

Start/Run/type "control.exe folders"/OK

#3 Sfari

Sfari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Not sure exactly where you are looking for Folder Options.

Start/Run/type "control.exe folders"/OK

"The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your systsem administrator."

But I am the administrator... What now?

#4 Sfari

Sfari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Come on, guys.

#5 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:49 AM

OK, you must have set a Group Policy to disable Folder Options, you could Run gpedit.msc and navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer and modify the Removes the Folder Options menu from the Tools Menu setting.

The registry value should be

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NofolderOptions"=dword:00000000

#6 James Bng

James Bng

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hope this info isn't coming too late... came across this topic because I was having the same problem. Turns out I was infected by what McAfee labels as the Ritart virus (which Avira didn't pick up!). I'm inclined to think you're not, because you're in the registry, something that Ritart blocks you from editing. But I throw it out there, just in case.

Are you logged in as 'Administrator', or are you a user that has administrator privileges? Those are not the same in Vista, and the Administrator account is disabled by default. And even if you have administrative privileges, just running a command the way you described won't launch the app with administrative privileges.

That being said, you should be getting a prompt if you don't have sufficient privileges, so it's very odd. :huh:

If CoolCatBad's suggestion doesn't work (note that you're in software\policies, not windows\currentversion\explorer) try creating a new shortcut on the desktop... enter "control.exe folders" as the command line, then right-click on the shortcut, picking 'run as administrator'. Let me know if that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users