Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

Alright so recently I had my hard drive crash. I got a new one, 250gb, The disk that came with the hard drive let me partition it so I did that to what i wanted. The only thing is when installing XP onto it it only shows 32gb allowed. When partitioning, it was saying that it might not allow the whole partition to be used and you'd have to change some things in the registry. here's where i need the help....i don't know how to get the whole hard drive into use. I want some space for XP, some for linux, some for this and that and so on...Thanks for the help

Actually, I think I got it :thumbsup: !
But so far all i've accomplished was getting more partitions. I was searching around and saw that XP HomeE doesn't do duel booting...but it can be done. So how do I go about getting another OS on another partition and then get them to duel boot?
Thanks for the help

Edited by Fireworkman04, 15 July 2005 - 02:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:50 AM

Hi did you not try and let windows partition it.
My computer, right click properties, manage, then disk management. have a look in there because you can reformat from there as well.

Keep us informed.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:01 AM

I was able to partition by going to run and running compmgmt, but my main partition which has XP on it is only 32gb because that's all that when i first tried install XP allowed me to do, i couldn't go any higher than 32gb. So basically what i need to know is how can i install xp onto one of the partitions i made?
thanks for the help

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:59 AM

What did you use to create your partition?

Try downloading digital dolly and just resize your current partition.

Backup your drive before doing a resize operation as you may lose your data.

Commerical alternatives

Partition Magic
Paragon
Acronis

#5 jcxhc

jcxhc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:38 AM

how big are the other partitions, and can you get to them?

#6 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:05 PM

I can make the other partitions as big as i want. And yes I can access them by going to my computer in which they're placed next to C:

Edited by Fireworkman04, 15 July 2005 - 07:23 PM.

#7 Fireworkman04

Fireworkman04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:50 PM

I downloaded the digital dolly but I'm not sure how to get it to work. Some help would be nice, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users