Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with HP Pavillion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

My daughter has a HP Pavillion Model a6500f 64 bit that is running Vista Home Premium. It has 4 gigs of ram, a 500 gig hard drive, and a dual core processor.

The computer ran fine until tonight. When she turns it on the keyboard is recognized but a blue splash screen for HP comes up that asks to click on esc to go into bios, F10 for setup, etc.

It won't go any further. There appears to be a yellow (or amber) light that lights up right behind the power swith (which does light up.) I can hear the fan is running and the mouse shows that it has power too.

If I press esc, a message comes up that it is entering setup but never does. It just sits there.

I would sure appreciate it if somebody could give me an idea what I might try to do to help her get her computer going again.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

Solved the problem myself. Opened the tower and changed the port that the SATA drive cable connected to. At least after doing that and restarting the computer I was able to get into BIOS. Showed no hard drive as being recognized. Went to HP's site and found that Seatgate had a problem with some of the hard drives (500, 700, etc.) After calling a technician with HP it was decided that the hard drive had failed (no indication of it failing-it just stopped!!!)

HP is sending a new hard drive and a recovery disk (the recovery partition was on the hard drive that failed. No cost. There was still 50 days left on the warranty.

I guess we were LUCKY!

Thanks for looking at my computer problem.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

Glad you got it covered under warranty
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users