Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

K-LITE CODEC PACK????

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

A question for those who know much from one who knows little. I noticed while perusing filehippo that a free download was available called k-lite mega codec pack and another called k-lite codec pack (full). I have xp pro sp3 with windows media player 11 and power dvd. Is this something I could use to enhance these programs or a waste of time? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi,

The K-Lite codec pack exists in different packages. They provide codecs that are sometimes needed to play specific audio or video files.
They do not enhance the performance of your media players, they make certain files "readable/playable".
If you are able to play all required files, no need to download K-Lite codec pack.

More information about the different packages can be found here:
http://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

Edited by Mysterysgames, 08 August 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

I'm cautious of all "codec packs" since malicious codecs are rampant on the internet. The question to be asked is: have you come across any media files which you haven't been able to play? If not, then you don't need any more codecs. If you have, then I'd recommend getting VLC Media player instead since it plays pretty much everything and is 100% clean and pure.

Note: I'm not saying that this particular codec pack is malicious. Not at all. One of its mirrors is on Major Geeks, a reputable site where it has received high ratings. Nevertheless, if you don't have media files that won't play, no need to bother with more codecs.

#4 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Thank you Mysterygames and Amazing Andrew for your quick and excellent responses. I will follow your advice. No other replies required from others. Thanks again. David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users