Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run any virus\malware programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave_B

Dave_B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

2 days ago I was researching on the web and my browser was attacked! I disconnected the ethernet cable but not before it was to late. I got what I believe was the braviax/cru629 virus, had a false virus program on the taskbar (red dot with white x) that kept telling me I was infected.. (it was telling me the truth by the way..LOL) After the attack IE or Outlook express will no longer start, I get the "{Program} has encountered a problem and needs to close. We're sorry for the inconvience." send or don't send dialogue box.

It also took away Tools>Folder options and I couldn't get into Regedit or System Restore.

None of the malware programs I had would work Spybot, Malwarebytes, Adaware, AVG, they would start then close. Then if you tried to start again would get the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file, you may not have the appropraite permission to access the item." and the icon for that program would turn to and generic icon.

After a few hours of reading and manually deleteing files and using killbox and SDfix I got rid of the of all braviax and cru629 files/ reg entries. I have the folder options back and system restore and Regedit as well. Nothing in the task bar now. I will mention I also did a sfc /scannow and it replaced files thinking it may let me get some malware/virus programs to run.

Here is where I'm at, I can't get IE or Outlook express to load. I can't get any virus or malware program to run very long before shutting down, then they won't start at all unless you do a reinstall, then its just a repeat.

I will mention that all other programs seem to start and work fine. In the task manager nothing seems to be hogging resources preformance tab shows 2-3% CPU usage, with what I believe to be no suspicious looking processes running, but thats me LOL.

I need a Pro's help and opinion plz.

Still disconnected for internet....Windows XP Pro....and sad to say SP1

Thanks in advance for you help!

dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave_B

Dave_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Thought I would bring this back to the front page. I can tell everyone is swamped here. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have been following this thread, its seems simular to the problem I have...but still not the same
This thread

Also this one
Also this one

Though I hope my problem isn't as serious.

I will wait for guidance.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users